The World’s First All-glass Undersea Restaurant Opens
The Maldives | 15 April marks the day that the first ever all-glass undersea restaurant in the world opens its doors for business at the Hilton Maldives Resort & Spa. Ithaa* will sit five meters below the waves of the Indian Ocean, surrounded by a vibrant coral reef and encased in clear acrylic offering diners 270-degrees of panoramic underwater views.
Created by MJ Murphy Ltd, a design consultancy based in New Zealand, Ithaa’s distinctive feature is the use of curved transparent acrylic walls and roof, similar to those used in aquarium attractions. “The fact that the entire restaurant except for the floor is made of clear acrylic makes this unique in the world,” continues Schieck, “We are currently planting a coral garden on the reef to add to the spectacular views of the rays, sharks and many colourful fish that live around the reef near the restaurant.”
The five-metre by nine-metre transparent arch, which spans the entire room, seats 14 people and provides a feeling of being completely at one with the underwater world while submerged beneath the surface of the ocean. Set with the resort’s renowned house reef one side, and a clear lagoon on the other, diners enjoy their meal within Ithaa’s translucent shell as the underwater drama unfolds on all sides.
Naturally the food will be as spectacular as the underwater setting, explains Schieck, “In such a unique restaurant we wanted to create a distinctive cuisine, which is why we’ve decided to offer ‘contemporary Maldivian cuisine’ as a theme. We take local spices and traditional flavours and give them a western twist to create a fusion cuisine that you could find in the best restaurants in London or New York. Nobody else has done this before and we’re very excited about it.”
While the cuisine is dedicated to the fine balance of western food items with a Maldivian flavour, the wine concept is equally exciting; offering diners the perfect opportunity to discover the wines of the prestigious Champagne house Louis Roederer.
Ithaa is reached by a wooden walkway from the nearby over-water Sunset Grill Restaurant. Diners begin their meal with drinks on a specially constructed deck over the ocean and then descend to the restaurant via a spiral staircase where the à la carte menu is served. Seating only 14 people, Ithaa offers one of the most intimate and exclusive dining experiences in the world.
This innovative restaurant is the first of its kind in the world, and is part of a US $25 million re-build of Rangalifinolhu Island, one of the twin islands that make up Hilton Maldives Resort & Spa. This re-build includes the construction of 79 of the most luxurious Beach Villas in the country as well as the Spa Village, a self-contained, over-water ‘resort-within-a-resort’ consisting of a spa, restaurant and 21 villas.
* Ithaa (pronounced eet-ha) means ‘pearl’ in the language of the Maldives, Dhivehi.
Hilton Worldwide Resorts is an upscale, global resort network with a collection of 47 resorts, located in exotic places, making up the world’s largest global choice. Currently, 34 resorts are operated by Hilton International, 11 by Hilton Hotels Corporation and two by Conrad. The network spans 21 countries and seven regions including the Americas, Arabian Gulf, Asia-Pacific, the Caribbean, Egypt, Europe and the Indian Ocean. New resort openings are planned in Thailand, Croatia, the Philippines, the Caribbean, Seychelles, Fiji, France, America, Italy, Brazil and Australia.
- Hilton Worldwide Resorts™ is an upscale, global network of 47 resorts in exotic locations, making the world’s largest global choice
- Currently, 34 resorts are operated by Hilton International, 11 resorts by Hilton Hotels Corporation and two resorts by Conrad
- The network spans 21 countries and seven regions including Asia Pacific, the Indian Ocean, Europe and Israel, Egypt, the Arabian Gulf, the Caribbean and the Americas
- New resort openings are planned in Thailand, Croatia, the Philippines, the Caribbean, Seychelles, Fiji, France, America, Italy, Brazil and Australia
- 37 resorts specialize in diving
- 27 resorts are ideal for romantic holidays
- 28 resorts cater specifically for families
- 16 resorts feature championship golf courses
- 19 resorts are home to world-class spas