STR Global posts January Americas results
Highlights from key individual markets in the Americas include (percentages are January 2009 vs. January 2008):
- Washington D.C., United States, was the only market to report increases in all three key performance areas, rising 2.5 percent in occupancy to 52.3 percent, 25.8 percent in ADR to US$181.75, and 28.9 percent in RevPAR to US$95.12.
- Along with Washington, D.C., San Juan, Puerto Rico, and Ottawa, Ontario, reported increases in occupancy, rising 2.0 percent to 69.5 percent and 1.2 percent to 54.6 percent, respectively.
- Markets that reported occupancy decreases of more than 15 percent include: Buenos Aires, Argentina (-18.6 percent to 54.4 percent); Mexico City, Mexico (-19.5 percent to 44.8 percent); Nassau, Bahamas (-17.5 percent to 54.5 percent); and New York, New York (-16.1 percent to 59.5 percent).
- Four markets reported increases in ADR for the month: Buenos Aires (+5.2 percent to US$151.67); Nassau (+4.8 percent to US$309.86); Santiago, Chile (+13.2 percent to US$146.59); Washington D.C. (+25.8 percent to US$181.75).
- The largest decreases in RevPAR were reported by Vancouver, British Columbia (-28.0 percent to US$49.88); Mexico City (-27.4 percent to US$51.92); Toronto, Ontario (-27.3 percent to US$57.10); and New York (-27.1 percent to US$118.44).
Performances of key countries in January (all monetary units in local currency):
|Country||Occupancy||% change||ADR||% change||RevPAR||% change|
|Argentina||50.7%||-20.1%||ARS 500.45||+17.2%||ARS 253.65||-6.3%|
|Brazil||54.9%||-7.5%||BRL 187.04||+3.8%||BRL 102.71||-4.0%|
|Canada||47.8%||-5.7%||CAD 124.28||+0.9%||CAD 59.36||-4.9%|
|Mexico||51.9%||-11.3%||MXN 1797.19||+22.8%||MXN 931.85||+8.8%|
|United States||45.9%||-10.7%||USD 100.66||-5.2%||USD 46.24||-15.3%|
About STR & STR Global: For more than 20 years, Smith Travel Research has been the recognized leader for lodging industry benchmarking and research. Smith Travel Research and STR Global offer monthly, weekly, and daily STAR benchmarking reports to more than 36,000 hotel clients, representing nearly 5 million rooms worldwide. STR is headquartered in Hendersonville, Tennessee, and STR Global is based in London. For more information, visit .
Jeff Higley (STR)
VP, Digital Media & Communications
Phone: +1 (615) 824-8664 ext. 3318