Hospitality Industry Turns to HD Expo in Las Vegas on May 14-16 for Insights Into A Changing Economy
ATLANTA -- Now more than ever, the hospitality industry is looking to turn today's challenges into tomorrow's bottom line solutions. To meet these demands, designers, purchasing agents, owners, operators and architects are turning to the Hospitality Design Exposition & Conference (HD Expo) held at the Sands Expo and Convention Center in Las Vegas on May 14-16, 2009. This year in particular, HD Expo has become the must-attend event for the industry's most significant players as the exposition and conference examine the critical tools, products and services that turn insight into opportunity and help gain a competitive advantage to move forward in the downturn economy.
Despite the current economic climate, results from a recent survey administered by the Hospitality Design Group signal a strong demand for attending HD Expo. Over 90% of attendees surveyed indicated that participation at HD Expo is vital to business success. HD Expo easily outranked all other hospitality trade shows identified in the poll according to the importance of show attendance. Moreover, according to survey data, over 80% of attendees identified that they would still go to HD Expo regardless of the current financial climate.
Reinforcing this popularity, Tradeshow Week magazine recently named the exposition and conference in its 6th Annual TSW Fastest 50 rankings. The TSW Fastest 50 recognizes leading shows that have experienced the greatest increase in net square footage over the past three years.
Highlights from HD Expo 2009 include:
- EXPO: HD Expo is the most comprehensive resource for the latest in trends, innovations and products in the hospitality industry. Attendees look forward to seeing some of the country's leading manufacturers, including the Shaw Hospitality Group, Symmons, LG, Bergamo Fabrics, Durkin, and Shelby Williams, with exhibitors covering everything from beds and bedding to fabric and textiles to furniture and casegoods to flooring to lighting to plumbing and bath fixtures to technology and electronics.
CONFERENCES: 25 information-packed, idea-generating educational sessions cover all facets of design innovation and offer tips on navigating the economy. In addition to LU/CEU accredited peer-based opportunities that are offered throughout the conference, key sessions and presenters in 2009 include:
- Crunching The Numbers: Economic Outlook For Hospitality with Raj Chandnani (Vice President, WATG); Shawn Ford (Vice President, Lodging Econometrics); and Kevin M. Higar (Senior Manager, Technomic, Inc.)Reinventing the Affordable Hotel with Donald Griner (Senior Director, Design & Construction, Cambria Suites); Christopher Jones (Senior Vice President of Development and Construction, NYLO); Michael Levie (CEO, CitizenM Hotels); and Brian McGuinness (Senior Vice President and Global Brand Leader, Specialty Select Brands, Starwood Hotels & Resorts)
- 'The Art of the Advantage': 36 Stratagems to Seize the Competitive Edge with Jill Hellman (Chief Innovator, Thayer Lodging Group, and Consultant Strategist, The Art of the Advantage)Innovation Is Not An Option: Moving Forward in a Down Economy presented in conjunction with the International Interior Design Association (IIDA) with Michelle Finn (Vice President, Hospitality Design Group) and John Hardy (President and CEO, The John Hardy Group)
- Hotel Property Renovation and Re-Branding to Address Current Market Conditions with Alberto Lima (Principal, Gensler); Russell Banks (Senior Associate, Gensler); Jeff Campbell, (Senior Associate, Gensler) and Ane Rocha (Designer, Gensler).
GREEN DAY: Co-located with HD Expo, Hospitality Design magazine will hold its 2nd annual Green Day conference on May 13, 2009 from 10:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. In a day devoted to sustaining and reinventing our future, attendees examine issues surrounding green design. Legendary MGM Management president William "Bill" Smith will spotlight the magazine's highly-anticipated Green Luncheon. Interactive afternoon sessions provide industry professionals with an open forum for exchanging new ideas and examining the best in green practices. Additionally, some of the latest green products making waves in the hospitality industry are showcased in the Hospitality Design Green Room.
Green Day also features the winners of the 2nd Annual HD/ASID sponsored Earth-Minded Awards (EMA), recognizing the creative accomplishments of green project and product design in hospitality. With a nod to the future of green design, NEWH, Inc., The Hospitality Industry Network presents a scholarship award to a student along with a matching grant to the individual's university for the study of sustainable design.
- PLATINUM CIRCLE AWARD GALA: On Thursday, May 14, Hospitality Design magazine celebrates over two decades of hospitality's most inspirational minds at a prestigious black tie affair and networking event.
- OTHER EVENTS AND AWARDS: HD Expo also features the 12th Annual IIDA/HD Best Product Awards, a competition honoring the best of the best in hospitality products; Party by the Pool, the must-attend networking event on the calendar of the industry's most influential movers and shakers; and the 22nd Annual Platinum Circle(R) Awards, a gala event and presentation ceremony that celebrates over two decades of hospitality's most inspirational minds.
The 2009 Hospitality Design Exposition & Conference (HD Expo) is presented by Hospitality Design magazine and produced by the Hospitality Design Group, part of Nielsen Business Media, which also produces the Hospitality Design Boutique Exposition & Conference (HD Boutique) in Miami (September 14-15, 2009). The event is in association with: International Interior Design Association (IIDA); International Society of Hospitality Purchasers (ISHP), National Council for Interior Design Qualification (NCIDQ); American Society of Interior Designers (ASID) and NEWH, Inc. - The Hospitality Industry Network.
Nielsen Business Media, a part of The Nielsen Company, is a leading market-focused provider of integrated information and sales and marketing solutions, helping businesses go to market more effectively and efficiently. Serving more than 30 industries spanning entertainment, media and marketing, retail, travel and performance, and design, Nielsen Business Media provides business-to-business products and services in print, online and face-to-face. With 40 publications, over 135 trade shows and conferences, and 195 digital products and services, Nielsen Business Media offers insight, analysis and face-to-face contacts to help professionals better understand their markets, serve their customers and grow their businesses.
The Building Design Group, part of Nielsen Business Media, includes leading publications, events and digital offerings in the residential and commercial property design industry including DDI, GlobalShop, Commercial Property News, Contract, Hospitality Design, Hospitality Design Expo and Hospitality Design Boutique, Kitchen & Bath Business, Kitchen and Bath Industry Show, Multi-Housing News and Multi-Housing World. The group also produces publications and events in the decorated apparel and home healthcare industries including Impressions, The Imprinted Sportswear Shows and Medtrade. Additionally, three Marine Military Expositions are produced that are focused on the US Marine Corps. Nielsen Business Media is a division of The Nielsen Company.