Marriott Jumps 10 Places in the Sunday Times 'Best Big Companies to Work For' List
Marriott Hotels in the UK have risen ten places to 4th place in the Sunday Times 20 Best Big Companies to Work For list, announced on Sunday 8th March 2009.
Bethesda, MD -- The Sunday Times Best 100 Companies to Work For and its sister award the 20 Best Large Companies To Work For celebrate the best employers in Britain. This year almost 1000 companies entered the process, and the judges received questionnaire responses from 200,000 employees of these companies.
“This is the second year that Marriott has entered the programme, and the assessment was even more robust than last year” commented Gary Dodds, regional vice president of HR for Marriott’s UK, Ireland, Middle East and Africa region.
“We are gratified that our associates completing confidential opinion survey’ about Marriott and its leadership for the Sunday Times, appreciate our company philosophy of how we take care of our employees, even in difficult times. Our approach to treat all equally, with dignity and respect and with a strong principle of teamwork all came out as valued. We believe our company culture is central to employee engagement, which in turn results in customer satisfaction. Guests pick up on the unspoken sense of pride of our associates, and that’s why they come back” he added.
In addition to Marriott’s vastly improved ranking in the Sunday Times List, the research organization responsible for these lists - Best Companies Ltd - has also recognized Marriott as ‘Outstanding’ in its 2009 Accreditation for Workplace Engagement, awarding the company two stars in its ‘Michelin style’ grading scheme. This elite performance standard recognizes and rewards organizations that demonstrate high levels of Workplace Engagement.
In addition to these achievements, Marriott in the UK has recently received a number of other awards and accreditations for its human resources programmes.
- Investors In People Award, which unusually, was made to all 60 UK Marriott Hotels – the first time a company has had all of its sites recognized in one go. The assessors commented that “The Marriott culture that runs through the organization is impressively positive”. This award is a 3-year award, running until 2010.
- The UK Government’s Department for Work & Pensions (DWP) Positive about disabled people programme: Marriott Hotels in the UK have achieved the right to use the Disability Symbol at all of its UK hotels. This recognizes employers who have agreed to meet five commitments regarding the recruitment, employment, retention and career development of disabled people. This programme is monitored by disabled people themselves, who expect to see the commitments implemented.
- The UK Government’s Local Employment Partnership Awards: Marriott received the Employer Award for Best Practice in Career Progression 2008.
- North East Local Employment Partnership Awards: Gosforth Park Marriott Hotel Associate Marc Thompson was runner up in the Getting back to work award, announced at the end of February 2009. Marc is an ex-offender who has turned his life around since joining the Marriott LEP programme.
- The Springboard Hotel Industry Awards 2008
Springboard is the UK’s largest charitable National body that promotes careers in the hotel and hospitality industry to young people, those returning to the workforce, the long term unemployed and disadvantaged people. Marriott were finalists in three awards:
Best Career Progression Award: First place awarded to Marriott’s West hotel cluster team. This award was won for having a pool of trained mentors who work alongside department managers to develop, coach and nurture talent from within and develop a pipeline of talent. Success means that over 80% of the senior executive team have grown their careers from within the company in this region.
Diversity in employment Award: Runners up for this award were the Marriott Pennines cluster team for their JobCentre Plus partnership and the hotels Accommodating Disability programme.
The Education Award – Large Organization: Runners up: Marriott and Bournemouth Highcliff Marriott for their Community College partnership.
Phone: +44 20 8741 3393