Kimpton’s Hotel Vintage Plaza in Portland Completes $4 million Renovation
New Design Theme Visually Illustrates Hotel's Commitment to Oregon’s Wine Industry
“We’ve worked to set a standard of quality over the last 18 years,” said General Manager Jeri Riggs of the Hotel Vintage Plaza, which was recently selected as one of Travel + Leisure’s ‘Top 10 Hotels for $250 or Less’ worldwide. “With the future in mind, we opted to fully revitalize the hotel rather than just renovate it. We’ve even constructed ten new rooms to add to our already eclectic mix of room styles.” Kimpton’s Hotel Vintage Plaza is known for its variety of unique suites – including favorites such as the Starlight Rooms with solarium windows and Garden Spa Rooms with private outdoor hottubs.
The Design Story
The new design theme visually illustrates Hotel Vintage Plaza’s commitment to Oregon’s wine industry. To lead the interior remodel, Kimpton hired Susan Caruso of the Marina del Ray, C.A. based hospitality design firm IntraSpec, and Sienna Architecture based in Portland. Caruso drew inspiration from Portland’s organic beauty and the lush neighboring vineyards, conceptualizing a design theme linked to elements found in the Northwest. Caruso’s vision is artfully and eclectically executed throughout public areas and guest rooms of the 10-story registered historic building.
The warm, earth-toned lobby greets guests and comes to life with the organic colors and textures of outdoors. Dark wood, creamy leathers, sheer roman shades and pewter accents mix with cream and cocoa tone wall coverings inspired by tree bark, creating a natural interplay between urban Portland and the Willamette Valley wine country.
Each of the guest rooms comes with its own personality. The hotel has a wide variety of unique rooms, many named after celebrated Oregon wineries, telling a story of its own. Many rooms house a piece of art or some special element that ties back to its namesake winery.
The Hotel Vintage Plaza has just completed an extensive $4 million project to fully renovate all 117 guest rooms and public space. As part of this renovation, the hotel rededicates itself to our valued and loyal guests while also renewing its commitment to the beauty of the Pacific Northwest, the City of Portland, and its unique emphasis on the important role that the wine industry plays in the state of Oregon.From the moment you arrive your senses will be inspired by such elegant touches as:
- Gorgeous hardwood flooring spread throughout the lobby and registration area
- A striking new lobby dining area adjacent to renowned Pazzo Ristorante inspired by the lush, natural surroundings of the Pacific Northwest coast
- A refreshing and soothing guestroom color palate of chocolate, cream, and olive anchored by dramatic persimmon leather headboards
- Exquisitely comfortable pillow-top bedding sumptuously complemented by 300 thread-count linens
- State-of-the-art 37" flat panel LCD televisions in every guest room (42" flat panel LCD televisions in suites) to enjoy the latest in on-demand programming
- Striking chocolate-toned wood appointments throughout the guest rooms' enhanced living areas, with the addition of beautiful work desks in our larger suites for your comfort
- Locally inspired artwork showcasing the beauty of Portland and the surrounding area while paying homage to Oregon's storied wine country
- Luxurious Aveda bath products – the leader in organic and earth-friendly luxury bath amenities
All rooms energize and soothe with a high-contrast color palate - white crown molding and trim pops from ivory walls above handsome espresso and caramel toned geometric carpet. Large-scale persimmon leather headboards with bronze nail heads impact the space, along with the contemporary and sophisticated dark framed art pieces of local landmarks and scenery. Deep chocolate finishes, and dramatic palettes of cream, persimmon and olive, carry through the space in the sumptuous fabrics, bedding and elegant drapery.
Hotel Vintage Plaza has carved out a niche in the Portland hospitality industry by winning top honors and consecutive awards in publications like Travel + Leisure and Condé Nast Traveler, as well as the 2009 AAA Four-Diamond Award.
Kimpton’s Mind.Body.Spa program is customary in all rooms at the hotel and includes an On-Demand television channel devoted to yoga, meditation, Pilates and core strengthening, as well as a wellness basket complete with yoga mat, block and strap for use during the stay (available upon request free of charge). In-room spa options such as massages, facials, manicures and pedicures are available.