WTTC Announces International Judging Panel for Tourism for Tomorrow Awards 2010
The World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC) today announced the Judges for the 2010 Tourism for Tomorrow Awards, WTTC's highest-profile accolade recognising best practice in sustainable tourism. Each year, tourism companies, travel organisations and destinations from around the world submit entries for consideration by the renowned team of judges, who identify global leaders in sustainable tourism development to be recognised by the Tourism for Tomorrow Awards. This year's deadline for applications is Wednesday 2 December 2009.
"With each passing year the Tourism for Tomorrow Awards continue to set new standards in recognising the highest level of sustainable tourism innovation in the Travel & Tourism industry," said Costas Christ, Chairman of the Judges, and an internationally acclaimed expert in sustainable tourism.
"At the heart of the Awards is an expert judging panel representing countries from all around the world and an on-site evaluation process of Award finalists to document their sustainable tourism practices in action," Costas added. "There is no doubt that what we are witnessing today may be the most significant transformation in the history of modern travel - the emergence of sustainable tourism principles and practices across the full spectrum of Travel & Tourism from small and medium-sized businesses to large-scale hospitality and travel corporations."
The judges on the Finalist Selection Committee for 2010 are:
- Tony Charters, Principal, Tony Charters & Associates, Australia
- Jena Gardner, President, JG Blackbook of Travel, and President, The Bodhi Tree Foundation, USA
- Erika Harms, Executive Director for Sustainable Development, United Nations Foundation - World Heritage Alliance, USA/Costa Rica
- Marilú Hernández, President, Fundación Haciendas del Mundo Maya, Mexico
- Dr Janne J Liburd, Associate Professor and Director of Research, Centre for Tourism, Culture and Innovation, University of Southern Denmark, Denmark
- Mahen Sanghrajka, Chairman, Big Five Tours & Expeditions, USA/Kenya
- Kaddu Kiwe Sebunya, Chief of Party, Uganda Sustainable Tourism Program, Uganda
- Mandip Singh Soin FRGS, Founder & Managing Director, Ibex Expeditions (P) Ltd, India
- Shannon Stowell, President, Adventure Travel Trade Association, USA
- Jamie Sweeting, Vice President, Environmental Stewardship and Global Chief Environmental Officer, Royal Caribbean Cruises, USA
- Albert Teo, Managing Director, Borneo Eco Tours, Malaysia
- Mei Zhang, Founder, Wildchina, China
This internationally acclaimed panel includes representatives of the public and private sectors, as well as media and academia. Its members will review and select a shortlist of finalists in each of the four Award categories to move to the second stage of the judging process, during which on-site inspections will take place. Following the third stage of judging, a final Panel will choose the winner for each category.
Members of the Winners' Selection Committee are:
- Costas Christ, Chairman of the Judges, Tourism for Tomorrow Awards, USA
- Graham Boynton, Group Travel Editor, Telegraph Media Group, UK
- Fiona Jeffery, Chairman, World Travel Market & Just A Drop, UK
- Michael Singh, Chief Executive Officer, Ministry of Tourism and Civil Aviation, Belize
The Tourism for Tomorrow Awards are endorsed by WTTC Members, as well as other organisations and companies. They are organised in association with two Strategic Partners: Travelport and The Leading Travel Companies' Conservation Foundation. Other sponsors/supporters include: Adventures in Travel Expo, BEST Education Network, Breaking Travel News, the Daily Telegraph, Friends of Nature, the Rainforest Alliance, Reed Travel Exhibitions, Sustainable Travel International, Tony Charters & Associates, Travesias, TTN Middle East, USA Today and the World Heritage Alliance.
For more information about the Tourism for Tomorrow Awards, please call Susann Kruegel, WTTC's Manager e-Strategy and Tourism for Tomorrow Awards, on +44 (0) 20 7481 8007, or contact her by email at email@example.com. You can also check out the website: . Case studies of previous winners and finalists are can be viewed at, and downloaded from: