New National Survey Redefines the Road Warrior, “All Work and No Play” is a Thing of the Past
Travel Tech Expert Katie Linendoll Teams with Hyatt Place® to Offer Tips for the Modern Day Business Traveler: the Road Warrior 2.0
Today's Road Warrior 2.0 is more productive than ever and fits in more time for fun and leisure while on the road, according to a new national survey from Hyatt Place, and conducted online by Harris Interactive®. Such multitasking can only come with help from new technology, on-the-road amenities and business savvy hotels like Hyatt Place – with more than 160 properties that are designed specifically for the modern day business traveler.
Renowned travel tech expert Katie Linendoll – a tried and true Road Warrior herself – has teamed with Hyatt Place to reveal findings on the modern day business traveler and provide tips on the best gadgets, amenities and innovations for making life easier on the road.
Road Warrior 2.0: The Modern Day Business Traveler
- Getting the job done: 50% of those surveyed say that life as a business traveler is easier and more productive today than it was 10 years ago, thanks in large part to hotels and technology that keep travelers connected.
- Mobile masters: When asked to choose between leaving home for a business trip without underwear or a smartphone, 64% of business travelers surveyed would rather leave their underwear at home.
- On the go: 69% of business travelers surveyed say they travel the same amount or more for work than they did a few years ago. While today's technology has not reduced their travel time, half of respondents report that business travel is easier than ever, seemingly in large part due to this new technology.
- The boondoggle is back: The top perk of business travel is exploring new places: two-thirds of those surveyed agree that business travel provides an escape from everyday life and a sense of adventure. There's also more time for fun: 69% find it easier to meet new people, and 59% find it easier to read a book, magazine or newspaper on the road.
- Keep in touch: 70% of business travelers surveyed are in touch more often while on the road and spend more time each day communicating with friends and family while traveling for business versus at home (an average of 33 minutes versus 19 minutes per day).
Katie offers the following tips and tech recommendations to help the new business traveler become a mobile master, easily balancing work and play:
- MBA (Mobile Business Accessory): A smartphone with GPS, hotspots and apps are essential when on the road for business. Try using apps like AroundMe to find your way around in new environments, or Camera ZOOM FX to create "souvenir" pics from your phone's camera.
- Fully connected: Look for hotels like Hyatt Place, which offers free Wi-Fi, 24/7 food options and smart integration of technology, to make it easy to work on the go.
- Maximum productivity: Tablets are great for portability, but when it comes to work on the road, consider a lightweight laptop with a full keyboard to finish up documents.
- Fun and functional: Portable gadgets, like a lightweight eReader, can keep you entertained without adding bulk to your luggage.
- Looking good: Today it's all about the trendy, business casual look – with a more relaxed environment, suits are no longer the standard. Slacks, polo shirts, and great summer dresses that can be fancied up with fun accessories are becoming the norm. When traveling, take all of this into consideration and choose comfortable clothes that are easy to pack and don't wrinkle. Comfortable shoes that look great are also a must.
"Modern day business travelers expect more today, and hotels, mobile devices and amenities are constantly evolving to meet their needs," said Linendoll. "Technology is smarter than ever and with a hotel like Hyatt Place, I never have to settle; I can take care of business, and have some fun along the way, too."
Life on the Road
At the core of the Road Warrior 2.0's lifestyle is Hyatt Place, a contemporary hotel designed with work-style and technology needs in mind. Created for the ebb and flow of busy, blended lives, Hyatt Place provides a perfect setting for multi-tasking travelers with comfortable, spacious rooms, contemporary decor, smart integration for technology, open spaces to work or socialize, and 24/7 food and beverage options.
"We understand the modern day Road Warrior and have designed Hyatt Place properties top to bottom with this person in mind," said Kristine Rose, Vice President of Brands for Hyatt Place and Hyatt Summerfield Suites. "We stay on top of business trends to ensure that we are constantly innovating and providing the very best experience for our guests."
Road Warrior 2.0 Challenge
Today's business traveler has evolved, and so must the term "Road Warrior." Hyatt Place is kicking off the Road Warrior 2.0 Challenge, asking real world business travelers to help rename and redefine today's Road Warrior to compete to win* an exciting, head-to-toe business traveler makeover worth more than $8,300, including many of Katie's must-have business traveler items. The prize package includes: 10 Free Nights at any Hyatt Place, Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond status membership through February 2013, 2 round-trip tickets on Southwest Airlines, Lenovo Thinkpad X1, Apple iPad™ 2, Samsung Infuse™ 4G smartphone from AT&T (service not included), The All-New NOOK™ by Barnes & Noble, Polaroid Grey Label GL10 Instant Mobile Printer, Jawbone JAMBOX™ Wireless Speaker, Skullcandy "Fix" Earbuds, iSound Portable Power Battery by dreamGEAR, Hyatt Grand bedding set and Pacific Coast® Pillow Fixer travel pillows, an expandable laptop brief and travel document holder, Waterbobbles, $500 gift card to The Limited or Joseph A. Bank (winner's choice), $200 gift card to Cole Haan, two pairs of adidas CLIMACool® Ride shoes and two full adidas training outfits, a yoga mat and DVD.
Participants can also enter a random drawing for a chance to win weekly prizes. Weekly winners will receive one free night at Hyatt Place. A grand prize winner will be announced in October. Entries will be accepted beginning today through October 6, 2011 at 11:59:59 p.m. (ET).
To enter the Road Warrior 2.0 Challenge, and for complete official rules and submission guidelines, please visit facebook.com/hyattplace. See below for how to enter a weekly drawing without submitting content. To learn more about Hyatt Place or to find a Hyatt Place for your next business trip, visit www.hyattplace.com.
*The Hyatt Place Road Warrior 2.0 Challenge: NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER/WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. Void where prohibited by law. Open only to legal residents of any 1 of the 50 US or DC who are at least age 18 and the age of majority in the state/jurisdiction of residence on the date of entry. Starts at 12am ET on 7/27/11. Ends at 11:59:59pm ET on 10/6/11. TO ENTER A WEEKLY DRAWING WITHOUT SUBMITTING CONTENT: send an email during the promotion period to [email protected] with the subject "Hyatt Place Road Warrior 2.0 Challenge" and the following information in the body of the email: full name, mailing address, profession, and email address. E-mail entries are not eligible to compete for contest prize. Odds of winning a weekly drawing depend on the # of entries received as of the weekly drawing deadline stated in the Official Rules. ARV of each weekly prize: $125. Total ARV of all weekly prizes: $1250. Must be a registered user of Facebook and "Like" sponsor to compete for contest prize. Contest entries (via Facebook only) will be judged according to the following criteria (and given the stated weights): Creativity of Entrant Content (⅓); Originality of Entrant Content (⅓); and Applicability to Theme (⅓). ARV of contest prize: $8371. Hotel stays are for double occupancy and must be used by 6/30/2012. Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond status membership is subject to all applicable terms and conditions. Airline tickets are for travel within the 48 continental U.S. and subject to airline's terms (must be used within one year after issuance). Device service not included in contest prize. Gift cards are subject to issuer's terms. Prize details determined in Sponsor's sole discretion and may vary. Subject to rules available at facebook.com/hyattplace. Sponsor: Hyatt Corporation, 71 S. Wacker Dr., Chicago, Illinois 60606. This promotion is not sponsored by or otherwise affiliated with any brand, company, or entity associated with a prize.
Harris Interactive conducted the study online within the United States between June 16 and 22, 2011, among 550 adults (ages 18 and over) who had taken six or more business trips in the past year.
Figures for age, sex, race, education, region and income were weighted where necessary to bring them into line with their actual proportions in the population. Propensity score weighting also was used to adjust for respondents' propensity to be online.
About Hyatt Hotels Corporation
Hyatt Hotels Corporation, headquartered in Chicago, is a leading global hospitality company with a proud heritage of making guests feel more than welcome. Thousands of members of the Hyatt family strive to make a difference in the lives of the guests they encounter every day by providing authentic hospitality. The Company's subsidiaries manage, franchise, own and develop hotels and resorts under the Hyatt®, Park Hyatt®, Andaz®, Grand Hyatt®, Hyatt Regency®, Hyatt Place® and Hyatt Summerfield Suites® brand names and have locations on six continents. Hyatt Residential Group, Inc., a Hyatt Hotels Corporation subsidiary, develops, operates, markets or licenses as Hyatt ResidencesTM and Hyatt Vacation Club®, which is changing its name to Hyatt Residence ClubTM. As of March 31, 2011, the Company's worldwide portfolio consisted of 451 properties in 43 countries. For more information, please visit www.hyatt.com.
About Harris Interactive
Harris Interactive is one of the world's leading custom market research firms, leveraging research, technology, and business acumen to transform relevant insight into actionable foresight. Known widely for the Harris Poll and for pioneering innovative research methodologies, Harris offers expertise in a wide range of industries including healthcare, technology, public affairs, energy, telecommunications, financial services, insurance, media, retail, restaurant, and consumer package goods. Serving clients in over 215 countries and territories through our North American, European, and Asian offices and a network of independent market research firms, Harris specializes in delivering research solutions that help us - and our clients - stay ahead of what's next. For more information, please visit www.harrisinteractive.com.
About Hyatt Hotels Corporation
World of Hyatt is Hyatt's award-winning guest loyalty program uniting the Park Hyatt®, Miraval®, Grand Hyatt®, Andaz®, The Unbound Collection by Hyatt®, Hyatt Regency®, Hyatt®, Hyatt Ziva™, Hyatt Zilara™, Thompson Hotels®, Hyatt Centric®, Hyatt House®, Hyatt Place®, Joie de Vivre®, Hyatt Residence Club® and Exhale® brands on a global scale. Members who book directly through Hyatt channels can enjoy personalized care and access to distinct benefits including Guest of Honor, confirmed suite upgrades at time of booking, diverse wellbeing offerings, mobile key and exclusive member rates. With more than 16 million members, World of Hyatt offers a variety of ways to earn and redeem points for hotel stays, dining and spa services, wellbeing-focused experiences through the FIND platform, offerings through Hyatt's wellbeing brands Exhale and Miraval; as well as the benefits of Hyatt's strategic loyalty alliances with Small Luxury Hotels of the World™ and MGM Resorts International. Travelers can enroll for free at world.hyatt.com, download the World of Hyatt app for android and IOS devices and connect with Hyatt on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.