CALL TO PARTICIPATE
Development of an International Food and Beverage Management Competency Standard
The research and development work will be carried out under the governance of three international committees:
- Global Advisory Committee (to provide leadership for the development of the ICS)
- International Industry Standard Development Committee (to provide guidance for the development of the ICS)
- International Industry Validation Committee (to validate various draft versions of the ICS)
The project was launched in July, 2011 and will be completed by September, 2012. It will include the following key development activities:
- Situation Analysis (identification of stakeholder needs, scope of the occupation, profile of job incumbents, job environment and working conditions, and future trends that may affect the occupation)
- Norm Referencing (research into existing international policies, procedures and practices to inform the development of competency standards)
- Competency Standards Development (job analysis involving a high level of international industry engagement)
- Validation of Competency Standards (broad distribution of competency standards for input and feedback to declare that the standards are relevant, accurate, and comprehensive)
We are in the process of identifying national and international partners who are interested to participate in this initiative and to serve on the project committees: (a) the Global Advisory Committee; (b) the International Industry Standard Development Committee; and (c) the International Industry Validation Committee. Following is a brief description of the roles the committees:
Roles of the Global Advisory Committee
This committee provides leadership, guidance and helps to promote the project.
- Provide input into the Situation Analysis and norm referencing
- Verify core competencies, skills, knowledge and abilities
- Review and provide feedback for competency matrix
- Review and provide feedback for improving draft international occupational standard
- Participate in surveys, interviews, and iterative standards review activities
- Review and validate draft competency standard
- Provide feedback for improving competency standard
Members of each committee will determine their own level of participation in the standard development activities. We value any level of participation and no contribution is too small. If you have a professional interest in food and beverage management/international standard competency development, and are interested to participate, or nominate representatives from your organization to participate in one, or more of these committees, kindly send us an expression of interest along with the contact information. Kindly also share this information with friends and colleagues.
Please note that all the research work will be performed by WDM-Consultants and that there is no financial commitment for participating in the project. Do not hesitate to contact me for more information on this project and the roles of international collaborators. We look very much forward to the opportunity of working with you on this important initiative.
Chris Chinien, Ph. D.
Phone : 514-288-7138
The Canadian Tourism Human Resource Council is a national sector council whose goal is to improve the quality of the Canadian labour force, and to assist businesses to be more flexible in meeting changing demands. For more information on the CTHRC and its products please visit and
This project is funded by the Government of Canada's Foreign Credential Recognition Program