Special ‘Lifetime Achievement Award’ for one of the world’s most distinguished hotel advisors at ‘Annual HOSPA Hospitality Finance, Revenue Management and IT Awards 2011’
The winners of the prestigious Annual 'Hospitality Finance, Revenue Management and IT Awards of the Year 2011' were announced last Thursday (15 December) in London by HOSPA (formerly BAHA) – the UK's leading educational organisation for professionals involved in financial management, revenue management and IT within the hospitality industry.
Commenting on Russell Kett's award, HOSPA Chief Executive Carl Weldon said: "It was a great honour and privilege for me and HOSPA Chairman Paul Dukes to present Russell – a Fellow of HOSPA – with this well deserved award. He is one of the world's great hotel professionals to whom BAHA owes an enormous debt of gratitude. His tremendous belief in the Association and his commitment to its development and success in promoting financial 'best practice' – right from its inception in 1969 and subsequently as BAHA Secretary, Chairman and Councillor – has been a major contributory factor over the past 40 years to our current success, and our re-branding as HOSPA.
"Russell's time as BAHA Chairman from 1988 to 1994 was one of the most productive in the Association's history. For example, BAHA membership increased by 50%; the Association became truly educational with the introduction of our highly successful Education and Training Programme (ETP) for Finance, and the Continuing Professional Development (CPD) programme with Oxford Brookes University; the Association's 25th Anniversary Dinner in 1994 attracted a then record 300 attendees; and BAHA launched its groundbreaking 'Recommended Practice on Valuation of Hotels' publication."
The 2011 HOSPA award winners – all recipients of engraved crystal trophies and certificates – were:
1. HOSPA Hospitality Professionals Award Winners 2011:
- Hospitality Finance Professional 2011, sponsored by PKF, was awarded to Richard Harrington, Regional Director of Finance, The Langham, London
- Hospitality Revenue Management Professional 2011 was presented to Gary Mills, Revenue Manager, Mint Hotel Manchester and Mint Hotel Leeds
- Hospitality IT Professional 2011, sponsored by Fourteen IP, was won by John Reid, IT Department Manager UK, QMH UK
2. HOSPA Company Commitment to Professional Development Award Winners 2011:
- Corporate Employer of the Year 2011 was awarded to Starwood Hotels & Resorts
- SME Employer of the Year 2011 was presented to Red Carnation Hotels
Nominations for the above top HOSPA award categories, put forward by Members of the Association to a special HOSPA selection committee, had to have: an exemplary track record; be willing to train and lead their staff; be totally dedicated to the hospitality industry, with the intention of remaining in the profession; demonstrate strong attention to detail; keep abreast of current codes of practice; and command respect within the hospitality sector and wider business community.
3. HOSPA Student Award Winners 2011 for Education and Training Programme (ETP) in Finance and Accounting
The HOSPA Education and Training Programme (ETP) is the entry route to Associate membership of HOSPA for new and inexperienced finance personnel in the industry. The programme provides learning and skills development for aspiring hospitality accounting professionals wishing to gain the skills and knowledge required to manage hospitality finance divisions, or gain an understanding of the accounting function of a hospitality unit. The 3-stage blended learning programme, studied over three-6-month periods, provides the flexibility for accounts personnel to fit their learning around their busy working day. Stage 1 is an Introduction to Financial Accounting; Stage 2 is Operational Management Accounting; and Stage 3 is Strategic Management Accounting.
At yesterday's HOSPA Awards Luncheon, the Association recognised the outstanding student successes in the three stages of the ETP programme:
· 'HOSPA Outstanding Student of the Year' 2011 – based on HOSPA Education and Training Programme (ETP) examination results 2010/11 – was won by Ricarda Neims, Reservations and Revenue Manager, St James's Hotel & Club, London She received a crystal trophy, certificate, a Samsung Netbook, and a free pass to the Annual HOSPACE 2012 Conference and Exhibition. Ricarda – who also won a cash prize and certificate for best performance in the September 2010 HOSPA ETP examinations for Stage 1: Introduction to Financial Accounting – took the best overall student accolade by achieving the highest overall HOSPA examination score in 2010/11.
Cash prizes and certificates were then given to the top HOSPA ETP students, based on their results in each of the HOSPA examination categories, taken in both September 2010 and February 2011.
The September 2010 HOSPA examination prize winners were:
- Stage 2 – Operational Management Accounting: Louise Coleman, Assistant Management Accountant, Firoka (Heythrop Park) Ltd., Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire
- Stage 3 – Strategic Management Accounting: Fiona Wilson, Assistant Hotel Controller, Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park, London
The February 2011 HOSPA examination prize winners were:
- Stage 1 – Introduction to Financial Accounting: Patrick Smekens, Hotel Manager, Hotel San Roman de Escalante (between Santander and Bilbao) in Cantabria, Spain
- Stage 2 – Operational Management Accounting: Facundo Doce, Assistant Financial Controller, Hotel Missoni Edinburgh, Scotland
- Stage 3 – Strategic Management Accounting: Louise Coleman, Assistant Management Accountant, Firoka (Heythrop Park) Ltd., Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire.
HOSPA Chief Executive
HOSPA (Hospitality Professionals Association for Finance, Revenue Management, Marketing and IT) is a non-profit educational organisation, formed to bring together those hospitality industry professionals involved in Financial Management, Revenue Management, Marketing and IT. Not only is HOSPA recognised as the UK"s authoritative voice in the hospitality industry on financial management, technical accounting issues and hotel valuation, but also as the leading arena for debate on hotel technology developments, Revenue Management and marketing. HOSPA"s Professional Development Programmes in Revenue Management and Financial Management provide rigorous and relevant education for all those seeking to further their careers in these important functions. A regular programme of workshops and seminars provide the perfect opportunity for members to continue to develop their knowledge and network with colleagues. HOSPA is on all major Social Media channels, including Twitter on @HOSPATweets. For more information, visit: www.hospa.org