TEDxEHL 2013: video extracts of inspiring talks - Part 1
In March of this year, the Ecole hôtelière de Lausanne hosted its second TEDxEHL. The exciting programme brought inspiration from a wide diversity of disciplines. All the content was curated with stakeholders of the hospitality industry in mind. The event was fostered towards learning, inspiration and wonder and provoking conversations that matter.
Ideas worth sharing – the topics
This half-day event attracted over 200 alumni, industry friends, staff and faculty and students. Additionally the event was live-streamed around the world to alumni chapters and certified schools, as well as to a designated live-stream viewing area on campus. We welcomed nine live speakers with ideas worth sharing, and screened three great existing TED talks.
The first two talks we encourage you to watch are the following :
- In the context of recent economic events, Pasha Bakhtiar asked "Where is this mindset and general pattern of bad corporate behavior coming from?" and shared how we can we bring about change.
- Radhika Murti asked "How are risks informing your choices – of home or holiday destination? Are you informed about past disasters and their probability in the future? And what are you doing to reduce the risk of natural hazards turning your dream location into a disaster situation in the future?"
About TEDxEHL: Sparking conversations that matter
"Amazing organisation - professional, slick, well organised and massive amounts of enthusiasm." Mission:Explore
"At TEDxEHL, we heard things we hadn't heard before and you hear things you weren't expecting to hear. They bring in ideas from outside your filter bubble." Imperial College
"Interesting, enlightening and fun. The organisation and hosting was excellent." Willow Impact
"The concept of idea sharing through interesting and innovative talks in order to spark discussions is very enriching." EHL Student
And finally, our sincere thanks to all our sponsors and exhibitors, especially our headline sponsor Parmigiani Fleurier, who helped make this event great.
The event was very successfully reviewed and there is already much talk of TEDxEHL 2014. If you have an idea worth sharing or know someone that does, we would love to hear from you. Contact us
New video extracts to come:
- Caroline Duetsch-Kubik (EHL 1996) asked "Could snacking be the solution for a new, nutritionally balanced food culture?" and considered the potential of new social eating rituals, encouraging us to eat more mindful, portion controlled, "healthier" food.
- Astrid Stuckelberger provided insight into the science and technology that is helping make great strides in happy and healthy longevity, and into future opportunities for food, nutrition and hospitality businesses.
- Macel Dicke's 2010 TED Talk raised the question "Why not eat insects?" (to be followed up on during the break!)
- Kathryn Schulz's ideas about being wrong where shared via her 2011 TED Talk which pointed out how right we feel when we are wrong, until we realize we are wrong.
- Our very own Christine Demen-Meier (EHL 1974), a member of EHL faculty, looked at local versus global sourcing and not only being, but more importantly remaining sustainable throughout the year. Are we the lucky ones? Should everybody be thinking local?
- Elissa Doyle, a current EMBA student at EHL, challenged the hospitality industry – and hotels specifically – to put the social back into 'social media' and 'let our guests be our marketers'.
- And last, but by no means least, Doug Manuel - musically accompanied by world-renowned kora player Seckou Keita - addressed what we can learn from the wisdom of indigenous music for management and life.
Stay tuned : two new videos will be published within the next two weeks.
About Ecole hôtelière de Lausanne (EHL)
EHL Group encompasses a portfolio of specialized business units that deliver hospitality management education and innovation worldwide. Based in Lausanne, Switzerland, the Group includes:
Ecole hôtelière de Lausanne (EHL): is an ambassador for traditional Swiss hospitality and has been a pioneer in hospitality education since 1893 with over 25,000 alumni worldwide. EHL is a leading university that provides a range of on-campus and online learning solutions, including undergraduate, graduate and certificate programs to talented students from 119 different countries.
Swiss School of Tourism and Hospitality (SSTH): has been one of the leading hospitality management schools for hotel specialists for 50 years. SSTH delivers Swiss-accredited professional training and higher education in its newly renovated 19th century spa-hotel in Passugg, Graubünden, to Swiss and international students from 20 countries.
EHL Advisory Services is a consulting and executive training company in hospitality, active in more than 30 countries, which supports the development of the hospitality industry.