IHG Announces New Corporate Responsibility Targets
IHG Green Engage
IHG Green Engage is an easy-to-use online system that helps us manage and minimise our impact on the environment by tracking the use of energy, carbon and water and the management of waste in our properties along with the associated costs. A key feature of IHG Green Engage is over 200 Green Solutions which our hotels can implement to reduce their environmental impact and achieve energy savings of up to 25%.
- 2,5541 hotels are now signed up to IHG Green Engage; circa 50% of our estate
- Exceeded three-year target (2010-2012)2 to reduce energy per available room by between 6 and 10% in managed and owned estate with a reduction of 11.7%
- Reduced carbon footprint across our global estate by 11.7% per occupied room over a two-year period (2011 and 2012)3
- Launched a carbon calculator based on the Hotel Carbon Measurement Initiative (HCMI) methodology and updated Green Solutions with comprehensive implementation guides
2013 – 2017 Targets4
- Reduce carbon footprint per occupied room by 12%
- Reduce water use per occupied room in water-stressed areas by 12%
The IHG Academy is a global partnership programme between IHG hotels and either a local community or education organisation that provides local people with skills development and employment opportunities at IHG.
- Expanded the IHG Academy to over 250 programmes globally to date
- Launched the IHG Academy website, which includes an IHG Academy toolkit
- Awarded the Business in the Community Work Inspiration Impact Award in 2013
- Over 10,000 people have benefitted from the IHG Academy since it was established in 2006
2013 – 2017 Targets
- Provide skills and improved employability to 20,000 people via IHG Academy
- IHG Shelter in a storm programme
The IHG Shelter in a Storm Programme helps our hotels support guests, colleagues and local communities in times of disaster with financial support, vital supplies and accommodation. A core part of the programme is the IHG® Shelter Fund made up of hotel and corporate employee fundraising. It means we have the resources to help those impacted right away. We also provide our hotels with guidance on when and how best to respond when disasters occur.
- Raised $545,000 for IHG Shelter Fund (target of $150,000) in 2012
- Responded to 10 disasters across six countries, providing $240,000 in disaster relief funding in 2012
- Hotels and corporate offices held a total of 198 fundraising events, including a global ‘IHG® Race Around The World’ event to support the IHG Shelter Fund
- Launched the IHG Shelter in a Storm Programme website, which enables online donations
2013 – 2017 Targets
- Contribute a total of $10 million to communities through monetary donations and in-kind support including funds deployed through the IHG Shelter in a Storm Programme.
During the course of this week5, IHG has been raising money for IHG Shelter in a Storm Programme through IHG Race Around The World, our global internal fundraising event. Colleagues around the world have pledged kilometres through walking, running, swimming, cycling and other activities, with IHG in turn donating $1 USD to the IHG® Shelter Fund for each kilometre pledged - up to a maximum of $300,000 USD.
Richard Solomons, Chief Executive of IHG commented: “Being a Responsible Business is part of IHG’s DNA. It is at the heart of everything we do. Our three flagship Corporate Responsibility initiatives – IHG Green Engage, IHG Shelter in a Storm Programme and IHG Academy – continue to go from strength to strength. We are very proud of what we've achieved so far, but there is always more to be done. These targets are a clear signal of our commitment to doing business responsibly and to creating shared value for IHG, our owners, the environment and the local community.”
1 As at 9 September 2013
2 Against a 2009 baseline
3 Against a 2010 baseline
4 2013-2017 targets includes all owned, managed and franchised hotels on IHG Green Engage
5 Week commencing 23 September, 2013
IHG (InterContinental Hotels Group) [LON:IHG, NYSE:IHG (ADRs)] is a global organisation with a broad portfolio of nine hotel brands, including InterContinental® Hotels & Resorts, Hotel Indigo® Hotels, Crowne Plaza® Hotels & Resorts, Holiday Inn® Hotels and Resorts, Holiday Inn Express® Hotels, Staybridge Suites® Hotels, Candlewood Suites® Hotels, EVEN™ Hotels and HUALUXE™ Hotels & Resorts.
IHG manages IHG® Rewards Club, the world’s first and largest hotel loyalty programme with over 74 million members worldwide. The programme was relaunched in July 2013, offering enhanced benefits for members including free internet for Elites across all hotels, globally.
IHG franchises, leases, manages or owns over 4,600 hotels and 678,000 guest rooms in nearly 100 countries and territories. With more than 1,000 hotels in its development pipeline, IHG expects to recruit around 90,000 people into additional roles across its estate over the next few years.
InterContinental Hotels Group PLC is the Group’s holding company and is incorporated in Great Britain and registered in England and Wales.
Phone: 01895 512008