TripAdvisor Reveals The Costs To Stay And Play In And Around The Big Apple During The Big Game Weekend
Travelers to the Greater New York City Area to Pay Around $350 Per Day the First Weekend of February - Many Hotels in the Vicinity Still Have Availability
No Need to Scramble – Hotel Rooms Still Available
For fans still looking to score a ticket, or for travelers who just want to experience the city atmosphere during the Big Game weekend, there are still plenty of rooms available in area hotels, with 52 percent of hotels in the ten destinations still showing vacancy for February 1-2. A few examples of accommodations where travelers can still book:
- The Bryant Park Hotel – #6 ranked hotel in Manhattan, according to the TripAdvisor Popularity Index, $525 per night
- Howard Johnson Express Inn Bronx – #2 ranked hotel in the Bronx, according to the TripAdvisor Popularity Index, $132 per night
- Meadowlands River Inn – #2 ranked hotel in Secaucus, New Jersey according to the TripAdvisor Popularity Index, $359 per night
Staying in the Pocket
- With a TripIndex total of $205 per night, the least expensive destination for travelers headed to the Big Game is the Bronx.
- Parsippany, New Jersey is the second least expensive locale ($253) but is also the farthest destination from the stadium included on the TripIndex, located roughly 24 miles away.
- Approximately 10 miles from MetLife Stadium, Jersey City is the third most affordable destination, coming in at $296.
Sacked for Cash
- The closest destination to the stadium on the TripIndex (approximately four miles away), Secaucus, New Jersey, is also the most expensive choice for travelers with a price tag of $483.
- With a total daily cost of $457, Manhattan is the second priciest place on the TripIndex, a full $100 more than the average.
- Approximately eight miles from the stadium, North Bergan, New Jersey is the third most expensive destination ($425).
Going Long for Hotel Savings
The TripIndex reveals that football fanatics can score lower hotel rates the farther away from the stadium they stay. Average nightly hotel rate for the "Big Game" weekend:
- 0-10 miles: $405
- 11-25 miles: $244
- 26-50 miles: $182
"Despite the clock running down to the big game in February, TripAdvisor data shows there is still significant hotel availability in the New York City area for travelers looking to score rooms at reasonable rates," said Brooke Ferencsik, director of communications for TripAdvisor. "According to the TripAdvisor TripIndex, travelers willing to stay outside of 10 miles from the stadium can save almost 40 percent."
|Destination||Miles from Stadium||Hotel||Public Transit||Wings||Two Beers||Total|
|4||Jersey City, N.J.||10||$300.43||$18.00||$8.17||$8.00||$334.60|
|8||North Bergan, N.J.||8||$391.86||$19.70||$7.48||$6.00||$425.04|
TripIndex for the Big Game looks at costs travelers are likely to incur in 10 popular lodging destinations near MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey. Destinations within 25 miles of the stadium were selected based on the number of accommodations available.
Hotel prices shown reflect the average nightly rate of a hotel found on TripAdvisor within each destination for the Big Game weekend (February 1-2, 2014). Pricing information was sourced from TripAdvisor booking data and represents prices offered from September 1, 2013 – December 20, 2013.
Public transportation prices specify the approximate cost of a roundtrip journey from each destination to MetLife Stadium. Prices were determined using routes and fares displayed on the Metropolitan Transportation Authority and NJ Transit websites.
Wings prices shown reflect the average cost of a standard order of chicken wings sourced from three local restaurants. Beer prices shown reflect the average cost of two bottles of domestic beer sourced from three local restaurants.
TripAdvisor® is the world's largest travel site*, enabling travelers to plan and have the perfect trip. TripAdvisor offers trusted advice from real travelers and a wide variety of travel choices and planning features with seamless links to booking tools. TripAdvisor branded sites make up the largest travel community in the world, with more than 260 million unique monthly visitors**, and more than 125 million reviews and opinions covering more than 3.1 million accommodations, restaurants and attractions. The sites operate in 34 countries worldwide, including China under daodao.com. TripAdvisor also includes TripAdvisor for Business, a dedicated division that provides the tourism industry access to millions of monthly TripAdvisor visitors.
TripAdvisor, Inc. (NASDAQ: TRIP) manages and operates websites under 21 other travel media brands: www.airfarewatchdog.com, www.bookingbuddy.com, www.cruisecritic.com, www.everytrail.com, www.familyvacationcritic.com, www.flipkey.com, www.gateguru.com, www.holidaylettings.co.uk, www.holidaywatchdog.com, www.independenttraveler.com, www.jetsetter.com, www.niumba.com, www.onetime.com, www.oyster.com, www.seatguru.com, www.smartertravel.com, www.tingo.com, www.travelpod.com, www.virtualtourist.com, www.whereivebeen.com, and www.kuxun.cn.
*Source: comScore Media Metrix for TripAdvisor Sites, worldwide, June 2013
**Source: Google Analytics, worldwide data, July 2013