AH&LA Announces ALIS Awards Finalists
Most Noteworthy Hospitality Investment Deals and Executives to be Honored at ALIS Conference
Executives and companies responsible for the most influential hospitality industry developments in 2013, will be honored during a lunch on Tuesday during the Americas Lodging Investment Summit (ALIS), January 27-29 at the JW Marriott and NOKIA Theatre at L.A. LIVE. Nominees are considered for the awards based on outstanding business performance in various industry sectors. The 2013 awards finalists include:
Development of the Year 2013
- Opened in June 2013, in downtown Chicago's River North neighborhood, the 664-room triplex comprised of aloft, Hyatt Place, and Fairfield Inn & Suites, was developed by White Lodging and Friedman Properties, Ltd. The complex is managed by White Lodging.
- The 378-room Courtyard and 261-room Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Central Park opened December 29, 2013, as the tallest hotel-only building in North America. The hotels were developed by veteran real estate developer Harry Gross and are managed by Interstate Hotels and Resorts.
- The 316-room The Langham Chicago in the iconic, Mies Van Der Rohe designed, former IBM Building in downtown Chicago opened in July 2013. The originating local developer/development manager was Oxford OG Hospitality Chicago, LLC (an Oxford Capital Group, LLC led venture that also included senior principals of interior design firm Gettys in conjunction with Pacific Chicago, LLC and Great Eagle Holdings).
Single Asset Transaction of the Year 2013
- A joint venture between Rockpoint Group and Ohana Real Estate sold the 354-room Bacara Resort and Spa in Santa Barbara, California, to Pacific Hospitality Group for $185 million in February 2013.
- Carey Watermark Investors acquisition of Hawks Cay Resort, the largest resort in the Florida Keys with 177 rooms and more than 250 villas in a resort residential management program, from a Behringer Harvard led joint-venture for $133.8 million.
- Ashford Hospitality Trust purchase of the 142-room Pier House Resort & Spa in Key West, Florida, for $90 million from The Jacobs Group.
Merger & Acquisition of the Year 2013
- BRE Select Hotels Corp., an affiliate of Blackstone Real Estate Partners VII, acquired Apple REIT Six, for $1.2Bn.
- Hyatt Hotels Corporation invested a total of $325 million in Playa Hotels & Resorts B.V., consisting of $100 million for a ~20% ownership stake and $225 million in convertible preferred stock.
- Ashford Hospitality Trust spun off Ashford Hospitality Prime to its existing shareholders, which began trading on the NYSE at $21.25 per share and is approximately ~$1Bn in aggregate value.
Jack A. Shaffer Financial Advisor of the Year 2013
- Jacques E. Brand, Co-Head Corporate Finance, Deutsche Bank
- Mark E. Schoenholtz, Managing Director, Eastdil Secured
- John Strauss, Managing Director, Jones Lang LaSalle
Co-hosted by the American Hotel & Lodging Association (AH&LA) and Burba Hotel Network (BHN), the two-and-a-half-day ALIS event features an extensive array of seminars and panels hosted by leading experts and investors discussing important trends and identifying new opportunities. The conference attracts the lodging industry's leading hotel executives, investors, lenders, developers, and professional advisory community. Proceeds from ALIS benefit the educational, research, and training missions of the American Hotel & Lodging Education Foundation (AH&LEF), AH&LA's nonprofit affiliate. For information on the Foundation, visit www.ahlef.org.
# # #
Serving the hospitality industry for more than a century, the American Hotel & Lodging Association (AH&LA) is the sole national association representing all sectors and stakeholders in the lodging industry, including individual hotel property members, hotel companies, student and faculty members, and industry suppliers. Headquartered in Washington, D.C., AH&LA provides members with national advocacy on Capitol Hill, public relations and image management, education, research and information, and other value-added services to provide bottom-line savings and ensure a positive business climate for the lodging industry. Partner state associations provide local representation and additional cost-saving benefits to members.
AH&LEF is the charitable fund-raising and endowed fund-management subsidiary of the American Hotel & Lodging Association. Founded in 1953, AH&LEF is the premier organization for scholarships, professional certification, and instructional material as well as funding for hospitality industry research.
BHN is the worldwide leader in developing and organizing conferences for the hotel and tourism investment community. With more than two decades of experience, more than 100 events completed to-date, and nearly 80,000 international delegates, BHN conferences have become "must attend" events for industry leaders who come together to network, conduct business and to learn about the latest trends.
BHN events include: the Americas Lodging Investment Summit (ALIS) in Los Angeles; the ALIS Summer Update; the Caribbean Hotel & Resort Investment Summit (CHRIS) in Miami; the Hotel Investment Conference Asia Pacific (HICAP) in Hong Kong; HICAP UPDATE in Singapore; the Hotel Investment Forum India (HIFI) in Gurgaon Delhi N.C.R.; the Hotel Opportunities Latin America (HOLA) conference in Miami; and the Hotel Investment Conference Europe (Hot.E) in London.
The BHN website at www.Burba.com is the gateway for information about the conferences BHN produces, as well as a direct link to important players in the hospitality investment world.
JW Marriott and Microsoft Theatre — Los Angeles, CA United States