Hilton Worldwide Launches its Largest Global Career Event
Careers@Hilton Live: Youth in Hospitality Month invites job seekers around the world to discover the vast career opportunities in the fast-growing hospitality industry
Hospitality Month, its largest ever global career event showcasing to young people the many opportunities available in the hospitality industry. Throughout the month of May, Hilton Worldwide properties and corporate offices around the globe will host more than 600 events in 54 countries and territories to inform those looking for employment, including young people, about the vast array of exciting opportunities available to all in the hospitality industry.
generate 73 million new jobs by 2022. Developing the next generation of the global workforce is a business imperative."
Young people – the biggest demographic in the world – are facing serious challenges building andgrowing careers. In 2013, an estimated 74 million young people were unemployed. Career preparation is crucial for these young people and their contribution to our global economy. The travel and tourism industry is the world's single largest employer, supporting one in every 11 jobs worldwide, and will need to play a leading role in addressing the youth unemployment challenge. Furthermore, studies show that there is a disconnect between the skills companies need and those young people are equipped with when entering the workforce. Only 43 percent of employers surveyed worldwide agreed that they could find enough skilled entry-level workers. Additionally, many young people are not clear on the opportunities that are open to them, with less than half (46 percent) saying they were aware of the sectors where there were many jobs available. Through this initiative Hilton Worldwide wants to ensure all job seekers, including youth, have access to the best available information about opportunities the industry provides.
"To ensure Hilton Worldwide's continued success it is imperative that we invest in the developmentof young people around the world, who are our future guests, partners and Team Members," said Christopher J. Nassetta, president and CEO, Hilton Worldwide. "Careers@Hilton Live: Youth in Hospitality Month events are a truly unique opportunity for our Team Members to inspire and inform young people about careers in the hospitality industry, and to support them by providing guidance on the skills that are vital to succeed in the workplace and beyond."
Participants will join Hilton Worldwide Team Members for innovative events taking place across theworld that include:
- Transcorp Hilton Abuja, Nigeria: Students will benefit from a job mentorship program, including placements in all departments to get a full understanding of hotel operations.
- Hilton Bogota, Colombia: Boys from local charity "Hogar Esperanza" (Hope Home) will be provided with the tools needed to build and manage their own bakery.
- Waldorf Astoria, Chicago, US: Local college students will be equipped with the skills they need to build their résumés.
- Hilton Garden Inn Krasnoyarsk, Russia: Two Olympic Champions will partner with Team Members to give students advice on how to reach the top in the hospitality industry.
- Conrad Centennial Singapore and Hilton Singapore: A Youth in Hospitality Forum for local young people will feature a panel of speakers from the hospitality industry, nearby education institutions and the Singapore Tourist Board.
- DoubleTree by Hilton Haikou-Meilan, China: Students from a local college will benefit from a training session given by Team Members to deepen their understanding of careers in hospitality.
"From job shadowing in Turkey and career development sessions in Japan, to interview preparationin Dallas and a virtual job fair in the UK, we are proud to showcase to young people the extensive and diverse career opportunities available to all job seekers at Hilton Worldwide's more than 4,000 hotel properties and corporate offices in 91 countries and territories," said Matthew Schuyler, executive vice president and chief human resources officer, Hilton Worldwide. "Hilton Worldwide is one of the fastest growing major hotel companies in an industry expected to generate 73 million new jobs by 2022. Developing the next generation of the global workforce is a business imperative." Open Doors commitment, which aims to positively impact at least one million young people by 2019 and better prepare them to reach their full potential.
Anyone unable to attend an event can still take part in Hilton Worldwide's "Career Concierge," inwhich everyone interested in learning more about careers in hospitality can submit their questions online via Hilton Worldwide's Twitter feed (@HiltonWorldwide) using hashtag #CareersatHiltonLive, or through the form on . Each week in May, this website will be updated to host a selection of the submitted questions, answered by a panel of Hilton Worldwide Team Members.
For more information about Careers@Hilton Live: Youth in Hospitality Month,please visit . For information on job opportunities with Hilton Worldwide, visit .
About Hilton Worldwide
Hilton Worldwide (NYSE: HLT) is a leading
Phone: (703) 883-5315