Survey Reveals Americans Spend an Average of Eight Hours Doing Activities that Keep Them from Enjoying Their Weekends
Hampton Hotels Partners with Travelista TV’s Teri Johnson, and BuzzFeed to Help Consumers Take Back the Weekend
The Hampton survey revealed the barriers many Americans face in enjoying their weekends fully – and what they would be willing to do or sacrifice to be better able to enjoy that time.
Survey findings include:
- A majority of Americans (79 percent) are willing to skip popular activities, including watching TV and attending social events, in exchange for a three-day weekend getaway.
- One-third of Americans are willing to take a pay cut for all their weekends to be three-days long.
- Almost three-quarters of Americans (73 percent) admitted to shirking out on their responsibilities, such as chores, at least once on the weekend in order to enjoy it more fully.
To help travelers determine their weekend identities so they can better enjoy the weekend, Hampton has partnered with BuzzFeed to create the “What’s Your Ideal Weekend Getaway?” quiz. Participants can take the quiz to receive destinations and travel tips specific to their weekend selves.
“At Hampton, we help people create weekend experiences that are worth sharing,” said Judy Christa-Cathey, vice president, focused service brand marketing, Hilton Garden Inn and Hampton Hotels. “On Monday morning, we want people talking about the fun experiences they had over the weekend, not the chores they did or the errands they ran. That’s why we’re encouraging consumers to take back their weekends and embrace their true weekend selves.”
Travel expert, Teri Johnson shares the following tips to help travelers embrace their weekends:
- Deciding where to go shouldn’t be stressful. Hampton’s survey uncovered that 33 percent of employed Americans think deciding where to go is the hardest part of planning a trip. By taking the Hampton quiz on BuzzFeed and identifying their weekend self, consumers can get fun suggestions to help plan their next getaway.
- Great weekend getaways don’t have to break the bank. Picking a hotel that offers complimentary amenities is an affordable solution. Hampton Hotels offers free breakfast and Wi-Fi for all guests at its locations, making it a convenient option for travelers.
- Create your “Summer Getaway Checklist”. Everyone knows that weekends are a time to unwind, yet sixty-three percent of Americans still don’t get to do what they want, according to a recent Hampton survey. This summer, create your “Summer Getaway Checklist” and start planning your weekend excursions around the activities and adventures you’ve always been meaning to do. Then start planning dates around those getaways, and voila, you’ll own your weekends in no time!
To help travelers learn more about weekend destinations and travel tips, Hampton is hosting a Twitter chat with Johnson on Wednesday, June 18 at 1:00 p.m. EST. Consumers are invited to join the discussion by following @TravelistaTeri and @Hampton and using #WkndSelf.
This summer, travelers will also have an opportunity to share their weekend moments on the Hampton Facebook page for a chance to win free nights and gift cards to experience their favorite events. Be sure to check out Hampton on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, YouTube and Instagram for updates on how to enter.
*The Hampton Hotels Survey was conducted by Wakefield Research () among 1,001 nationally representative U.S. adults ages 18+, between April 3rd and April 11th, 2014, using an email invitation and an online survey. Quotas have been set to ensure reliable and accurate representation of the U.S. adult population 18+.
Teri Johnson has been commissioned by Hampton Hotels for her endorsement and participation in the public relations campaign, “Embrace Your Weekend Self.”
About Hampton Hotels
The Hampton Hotels brand, including Hampton Inn, Hampton Inn & Suites and Hampton by Hilton, is Hilton Worldwide’s award-winning leader in the mid-priced hotel segment, serving value-conscious and quality-driven travelers. With more than 1,900 properties totaling more than 188,000 rooms in 14 countries and territories, Hampton Hotels is part of Hilton Worldwide, a leading global hospitality company. All Hampton hotels offer comfortable surroundings and a friendly service culture, defined as "Hamptonality," delivered by over 50,000 Team Members and supported by the 100% Hampton Guarantee®, reinforcing its commitment to providing excellent service to both business and leisure travelers alike. High-quality and consistent accommodations and amenities, such as free Wi-Fi and free hot breakfast, and the latest technology and innovations, such as multi-unit Power Cubes and the brand’s signature Clean and Fresh Hampton Bed®, combined with numerous locations globally have made Hampton a leader in its segment and one of the fastest growing hotel brands worldwide.
About Hilton Worldwide
Hilton Worldwide (NYSE: HLT) is a leading global hospitality company, spanning the lodging sector from luxury and full-service hotels and resorts to extended-stay suites and focused-service hotels. For 95 years, Hilton Worldwide has been dedicated to continuing its tradition of providing exceptional guest experiences. The company's portfolio of eleven world-class global brands is comprised of more than 4,100 managed, franchised, owned and leased hotels and timeshare properties, with more than 685,000 rooms in 92 countries and territories, including Hilton Hotels & Resorts, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts, Conrad Hotels & Resorts, Curio - A Collection by Hilton, DoubleTree by Hilton, Embassy Suites Hotels, Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton Hotels, Homewood Suites by Hilton, Home2 Suites by Hilton and Hilton Grand Vacations. The company also manages an award-winning customer loyalty program, Hilton HHonors®.