The Peninsula Hotels Goes French For European Début
From special animations across all hotels on 1 August, the festivities extend through the end of the year. On top of an array of French-themed food promotions celebrating the birthplace of haute cuisine, each hotel will offer brasserie-inspired menus in all lobbies, and French-themed Afternoon Tea and French delicacies will be available alongside classical French music. Guests will also be able to sample delectable French fare with a glass of Champagne or other popular French drinks such as the pre-dinner apéritif. Paying homage to the many pâtisseries that dot villages and cities around France, "Maître Pâtissier" classes will be hosted across all hotels for guests and their children. Budding chefs will be able to try their hand at making pastry classics that are staples of French life.
Along with the festivities planned across all Peninsula hotels, each hotel has chosen its own way of celebrating "All Things French". The Peninsula Bangkok will take advantage of the grand Chao Phraya River that runs through the city to host a sunset cruise on a Bateau Mouche offering French canapés and Champagnes on one of its renovated Thai rice barges, while The Peninsula Shanghai's Chef de Cuisine David Chauveau will introduce a five-course set dinner each month from June to October as part of the 5th anniversary celebrations, paired with wines from five of France's most celebrated wine regions in Sir Elly's restaurant.
New York, Chicago and Beijing will commemorate Bastille Day with exciting events and parties. On 14 July 2014, The Peninsula New York and Wall Street Journal will co-host a Bastille Day dinner event with French-themed décor, cocktails and delicacies, while Beijing's rooftop Yun Bar and Lounge will host a St Tropez party on 18 July, offering guests a pan-fried foie gras station along with a selection of French music. The Peninsula Chicago will launch a special Bastille Day menu.
The Peninsula Hotels will also collaborate with key fashion houses to celebrate its French connections. On 9 June, The Peninsula Tokyo partnered with Sisley Japan and luxury women's fashion magazine 25ans in hosting a French-themed charity dinner at its rooftop restaurant Peter. All the proceeds will be donated to Make-A-Wish Foundation® of Japan, a charity which grants wishes to children with life-threatening conditions. In Thailand, students from leading local fashion brands will pay homage to the impeccable French style by hosting a runway show featuring specially-designed outfits at The Peninsula Bangkok.
Art is an integral element of French life. The Peninsula Manila will collaborate with Filipina-French artist Olivia d'Aboville for its "Peninsula in Pink" celebration, in support of breast cancer awareness in the country. Olivia d'Aboville, who sculpts works of art with recycled materials, will create a Lobby installation, which will be on display from 1 October and auctioned at a later date. The Peninsula Tokyo will showcase six works by Keiichi Tahara, a renowned Japanese photographer who has spent most of his career in Paris and whose work has extended to light installations in both Japan and France.
Other celebrations include film screenings and French-themed Christmas festivities. The Peninsula New York will pay homage to the history of The Peninsula Paris – formerly one of Paris' "grands hotels", where George Gershwin has resided in and composed the score to while staying there – by showing "An American in Paris" as one of its rooftop film series on 24 June. As the year draws to a close, The Peninsula Manila will celebrate Christmas by hosting a French-themed Christmas concert – "Joyeux Noël" on 13 December 2014.
Individual hotels' initiatives are listed below:
The Peninsula Hong Kong
- Maître Chocolatier Marijn Coertjens is poised to create a replica of the world-famous Eiffel Tower made entirely out of chocolate, which will be on display in The Lobby and in The Verandah Café
- "Montmartre in The Lobby" – on Saturdays and Sundays, an accordion player will enliven The Lobby with traditional French tunes
- Celebration of the classic French style of facial-hair by selling chocolate moustaches at HK$ 40 per piece, with HK$ 20 from each piece sold donated to Make-A-Wish Foundation ® of Hong Kong
- "Moët & Spa" package at The Peninsula Spa with a 60-minute treatment, Champagne and gift
- "Joie de Vivre" package for two at The Peninsula Spa with a two-hour treatment, Aromatherapy bath, Champagne and macarons
- "Parisian Morning" package with French breakfast, facial, eyebrow tidy and gift
The Peninsula Shanghai
- "Le Cinquième at Sir Elly's" – a monthly, five-course set dinner menu, pairing wines from five French regions as part of the 5th anniversary celebrations at The Peninsula Shanghai
- Menu paired with special-edition Dom Pérignon Champagne at Sir Elly's, with label designed by Jeff Koons
- French manicure by SpaRitual at The Peninsula Spa
- Commemorative collector's edition sneakers featuring the most iconic elements of Paris and Shanghai with the Shanghai heritage brand Fei Yue
The Peninsula Beijing
- St Tropez party for Bastille Day at Yun Bar & Lounge
- Chocolate Eiffel Tower amenities
- Room upgrades for guests arriving from France or flying with Air France
- Biologique Recherche body treatments at The Peninsula Spa
The Peninsula Tokyo
- Luxury women's fashion magazine 25ans and Sisley Japan hosted a French-themed Charity Dinner at Peter with all proceeds donated to Make-A-Wish Foundation® of Japan on 9 June
- "Peninsula in Pink" collaborations with Keiichi Tahara, a well-known Japanese photographer with ties to Paris
- "Parisian Peninsula in Pink Charity Gala Dinner" with luxury lifestyle magazine Richesse and French fashion brand Lanvin
- "Day in Paris" – Paris-inspired video wall at its rooftop restaurant Peter
The Peninsula New York
- Display of a giant Eiffel Tower created entirely out of macarons at The Lobby
- Screening of classic French-themed films on the rooftop, starting with "An American in Paris"
- French-inspired dessert cart at Clement featuring "chocolat blanc" abricot scones, Praliné Paris Brest and Pistache Financier
The Peninsula Chicago
- French Chocolate Bar created by our resident French Chef, Chef Dimitri at The Lobby
- Raspberry, blueberry and vanilla éclairs starting on Bastille Day at Pierrot Gourmet
- Bastille Day menu at Pierrot Gourmet
- "Moët & Spa" package at The Peninsula Spa with a 60-minute treatment, Champagne and a ESPA gift
- "Joie de Vivre" package for two at The Peninsula Spa
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
- "Rosé on the Roof" – The Roof Garden to offer Whispering Angel rosé wine during the weekend Rooftop BBQ series
- Three-course French dinner menu, paired with French wines at The Belvedere
- French Tips manicure or pedicure with a glass of Champagne at The Peninsula Spa
- French jazz at The Lobby
The Peninsula Bangkok
- "French-inspired fashion meets Thai designers" runway show at All Things French Fashion Weekend on 19 to 20 July 2014. 35 leading local fashion brands will also début new collections as well as showcasing exclusive French-inspired clothes and accessories especially tailored for this celebration.
- Chao Phraya Champagne Cruise on a Bateau Mouche
- "The French Beauty" package at The Peninsula Spa
The Peninsula Manila
- "Avec Amour" Weddings – A bridal fair inspired by the Tuileries Garden in Paris on 21 June
- Bastille Day Buffet at Escolta
- Countdown to the opening of The Peninsula Paris held at The Lobby, adorned with French elements and complemented by Parisian tunes on 1 August
- Art installation at The Lobby by the Filipina-French artist Olivia d'Aboville for the "Peninsula in Pink" celebration starting from 1 October
- The Peninsula Boutique will be transformed into a Pâtisserie overflowing with classic French breads, pastries, desserts and cakes
- "Joyeux Noël" – the French-themed Christmas Concert on 13 December
About The Hongkong and Shanghai Hotels, Limited (HSH)
Incorporated in 1866 and listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange (00045), The Hongkong and Shanghai Hotels, Limited is the holding company of a group which is engaged in the ownership, development, and management of prestigious hotels and commercial and residential properties in key locations in Asia, the United States and Europe, as well as the provision of tourism and leisure, club management and other services. The Peninsula Hotels portfolio comprises The Peninsula Hong Kong, The Peninsula Shanghai, The Peninsula Beijing, The Peninsula Tokyo, The Peninsula New York, The Peninsula Chicago, The Peninsula Beverly Hills, The Peninsula Bangkok, The Peninsula Manila and The Peninsula Paris (expected opening in 2014). Projects under development include The Peninsula London and The Peninsula Yangon. The property portfolio of the group includes The Repulse Bay Complex, The Peak Tower, The Peak Tramways and St. John's Building in Hong Kong; The Landmark in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam; the Thai Country Club in Bangkok, Thailand, and 21 Avenue Kléber in Paris, France.
Director of Communications
Phone: (852) 2315 3135
Fax: (852) 2315 3124