“Sorry, I missed that…” nearly half of office workers admit to day-dreaming during a meeting at work
Eleven per cent have fallen asleep in a meeting
- no clear agenda (66 per cent)
- poorly managed (50 per cent)
- uncomfortable furniture (11 per cent)
With other grumbles including poor room layout (10 per cent) and lack of refreshments (7 per cent).
Perhaps as a result of one or more of the above, nearly half of office workers (47 per cent) admitted to daydreaming during a meeting, with 37 per cent admitting to missing a key point as a result. Nearly a fifth of attendees (19 per cent) have found themselves distractedly looking at their phone, while one in ten has actually even fallen asleep (11 per cent) or played a game to amuse themselves (9 per cent).
Steve Manfield, Area Director, Marketing UK & Ireland for Radisson Blu said: "The UKs meeting industry generated £5.6 billion for the economy in 2013, therefore it's important that meetings are designed to be as productive as possible. Our study shows that people can often get quickly distracted and phase out during poorly planned and frequent work-based meetings in the office."
Continues Manfield, "Our Radisson Blu 'Experience Meetings' concept was launched in response to changing customer demands and focuses on delivering seven key components for successful meetings to ensure that they are effective, efficient and engaging for all who take part. Radisson Blu has also developed a special Brain Food menu for meeting delegates, comprising nutritionally balanced and healthy food items to keep delegates alert3.
"Radisson Blu is currently taking Experience Meetings to the public, with a purpose built events truck measuring over 20 metres in length touring the UK & Ireland during June and July. Guests entering the truck will get to learn more about the Radisson Blu meetings concept during a sensory experience – including live chef demonstrations and audio visual presentations.
"By taking delegates out of the office and into a dedicated space which delivers expertly trained meeting planners, a specially designed menu, creative rooms and spaces and advanced technology, companies can ensure a more focused and productive workforce during those all-important meetings," continues Manfield.
Starting in June at the Radisson Blu Edwardian Hotel, Guildford, the Experience Meetings Roadshow will run over a 7-week period, covering key locations throughout the UK & Ireland.
The Radisson Blu Experience Meetings focuses on delivering seven key components for successful meetings:
- Brain Food, nutritionally balanced and healthy food items to keep delegates alert
- Brain Box, a creative space, an alternative to a traditional meeting room
- Free & Fast WiFi for all Radisson Blu guests and meeting delegates
- Think Planet, a commitment to being a Responsible Business through Carbon Neutral meetings
- Club Carlson Points for Planners, a personal benefit for meetings planners
- Meet Yes I can! a unique service philosophy for meeting delegates
- Meet Satisfaction, a commitment to deliver 100% guest satisfaction or your money back
Meeting Planners across Europe, the Middle East and Africa can enjoy Experience Meetings at 200+ Radisson Blu hotels, including key city centres in the UK and Ireland and now also including 13 Radisson Blu Edwardian hotels in the UK, 11 of which are in London - providing meeting planners in the capital with an excellent choice of venues and locations.
Notes to editors
- Opinium Research conducted an online survey of 2,006 UK adults aged 18 and over between 20thand 24th June 2014. Results have been weighted to nationally representative criteria.
- 18.00% of all respondents indicated they spend 67.52 minutes on average in work based meetings per day. Radisson Blu calculated that 18.00% x 50,371,000 (2013 UK adult population according to ONS, 2011) x 67.52 minutes / 60 = 10,203,150 total man hours spent in meetings per day
- Brain Food is has been developed by chefs at Radisson Blu hotels for meeting and conference guests. To ensure that guests are focused at all times during a meeting, Brain Food practices the following six main principles:
- Plenty of fish, whole-grain products, fruits and vegetables
- Primarily fresh, locally sourced foods
- Pure ingredients, with minimal processing
- Less meat with never more than 10% fat content
- Focus on delicious taste and healthy options
- Natural sweetening with no more than 10% sugar
About Radisson Blu
Radisson Blu is one of the world's leading brands with more than 290 hotels in operation in 62 countries. It is also Europe's largest upper upscale brand. Radisson Blu's vibrant, contemporary and engaging hospitality is characterized by a unique Yes I Can!SM service philosophy, and all of its first class hotels offer a range of signature features that are empathetic to the challenges of modern travel, including the 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. Distinguished the world over as the HOTELS DESIGNED TO SAY YES! TM , Radisson Blu offers a vivid visual celebration of leading-edge style where the delight is in the detail. Radisson Blu properties are located in prime locations and in major cities, airport gateways and leisure destinations across the world. www.radissonblu.com
About Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group
Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group is one of the world's largest and most dynamic hotel groups. The Carlson Rezidor portfolio includes more than 1,340 hotels in operation and under development with a footprint spanning over 105 countries and territories and a powerful set of global brands including Quorvus Collection, Radisson Blu®, Radisson®, Radisson Red, Park Plaza®, Park Inn® by Radisson and Country Inns & Suites By CarlsonSM. Carlson Rezidor plans to grow its portfolio to nearly 1,500 hotels in operation and under development by 2015. In most hotels, guests can benefit from Club CarlsonSM, one of the most rewarding loyalty programs in the world. Carlson Rezidor and its brands employ 88,000 people.
Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group is headquartered in Minneapolis, Minn., and Brussels, Belgium.
Director PR & Communication, UK and Ireland