How Will Google’s Mobile-Friendly Ranking Signal Affect Hotels?
Google will extend its mobile-friendly ranking factor worldwide on April 21. Will your hotel get penalized in search rankings? Learn more here.
Why Have a Mobile-Friendly Hotel Website?
This exact frustration is what Google is trying to eliminate with their recent mobile-friendliness ranking signal. According to Google, as of April 21, they will roll out this update to their algorithm worldwide, giving praises to sites optimized for mobile with "mobile-friendly" labels and higher ranking/visibility in mobile search results.3 On the other hand, non-mobile-friendly sites will be penalized with user warnings of site's faulty re-directs and also rank lower than competing sites that are mobile-friendly.
Use Google's online tool to test several pages on your hotel website and see if it's mobile-friendly or not (https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/mobile-friendly/). If it doesn't pass, here are a few tips on getting your site optimized for mobile:
- Design: decide whether a responsive web design, dynamic serving, or a separate mobile website is right for your hotel. Google prefers responsive web design; however, it will accommodate all types of mobile-optimized site.
- Architecture: Think of your customers and how to make it easy for them to navigate through your hotel's website and find the information they need. Make it easy for website visitors to take actions that meet your business goals – email sign up, book a room, social share.
- Speed: research shows that users start dropping off a site if it hasn't loaded within 4 seconds. There's nothing more frustrating than looking at a desktop site on a mobile device, other than trying to access a slow-loading site on a mobile device.
- Content: remember that users are seeing your website on a smaller screen, so being concise without losing the quality of the information is an absolute must!
- Local Search: as most mobile searches are local in nature, ensuring your hotel information is accurate and consistent throughout the local ecosystem is critical to your hotel's mobile search success. Scan the local ecosystem using NaptuneListings.com and see if all information, especially URL, Name, Address, and Phone Number (UNAP) is accurate throughout.
For more information about our hotel website and mobile services or to get a pricing quote, call us at 408-492-9055 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. We'd be more than happy discuss the options and pick the right solution that best fits your hotel's needs.
- Our Mobile Planet: United States of America – Understanding the Mobile Consumer:http://services.google.com/fh/files/misc/omp-2013-us-en.pdf
- Mobile Search Moments – understanding how mobile drives conversion (Google & Nielsen):https://ssl.gstatic.com/think/docs/creating-moments-that-matter_research-studies.pdf
- Finding More Mobile-Friendly Search Results: http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.ca/2015/02/finding-more-mobile-friendly-search.html
Phone: +1 408-200-6871
For over 20 years, Milestone has been a leading provider of digital marketing software and services for location-based businesses. Over 2,000 companies in Hospitality, Retail, Financial Services and Automotive industries rely on Milestone to power their digital marketing strategies. Milestone has garnered over 500 awards, has been short listed 3 consecutive years for the US Search awards and won Search Engine Land's prestigious "Best overall SEO-SEM campaign" in 2018. Milestone has gained a reputation for blending outstanding digital marketing expertise with advanced technological capabilities and is one of Silicon Valley Business Journal's fastest growing companies and an Inc. 5,000 company. More information can be found at www.milestoneinternet.com or on the Milestone Blog.