HSMAI Presents 59th Annual Adrian Awards
The Adrian Awards began in 1957 and consider entries from every segment of the travel and hospitality industry, including hotels, airlines, cruise lines, car rental companies, and destinations, among others. Winners are selected from a field of more than 1,300 entries by senior industry and media experts.
Gold Awards went to one of the largest groups of winners in the Awards' history, including 70 awards in Advertising, 122 in Digital Marketing and 139 in Public Relations, and were honored during the Adrian Awards Dinner Reception co-hosted by HSMAI, Booking.com, Google, and TravelClick. Platinum Award winners were selected from the most-outstanding Gold Award winners.
The gala's highest honor Best of Show was selected from Platinum winners. Best of Show Awards were presented to the following winners in the advertising, digital marketing and public relations categories:
- Advertising "Best of Show" – Creative and Colourful Places – Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism - and its agency Target
- Digital Marketing "Best of Show" – Millionth Mobile Check-in – Marriott International. "We are so excited," said Marriott International representatives David Menda and Amanda Olcott. "This project was a true cross-collaboration between the global and digital marketing teams."
- Public Relations "Best of Show" – The Epic Big Board Campaign – Visit Huntington Beach and its agency Development Counsellors International.
"In beach terms, I am stoked!" said Visit Huntington Beach representative Susan Thomas. "The community was an integral part of the making and shaping of this project. The city will be so proud."
Platinum Awards were given to the following recipients in the advertising, digital marketing and public relations categories:
Advertising Platinum Winners: Company; Agency
- Visit Tampa Bay; PP+K
- Hilton Worldwide – Homewood Suites; Van Winkle Pearce
- Embassy Suites by Hilton; Y&R Chicago
- Visit Greensville South Carolina
- Aruba Tourism Authority; The Concept Farm
- Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism; Target
Digital Marketing Platinum Winners: Company; Agency
- Hotel Pennsylvania; HeBS Digital
- Netherlands Board of Tourism & Conventions; Expedia Media Solutions
- CheapCaribbean.com; MMGY Global
- Triumph Hotels; HeBS Digital
- Visit Savannah
- Hilton Head Island – Bluffton Chamber of Commerce; VERB Interactive
- Marriott International; MEC Global and BCM
- Marriott International
Public Relations Platinum Winners: Company; Agency
- Israel Ministry of Tourism; Geoffrey Weill Associates
- The Library Foundation of Los Angeles; MFA, Ltd.
- Extended Stay America; Zimmerman
- Nomadic Expeditions; Hawkins International Public Relations
- Wyndham Hotel Group; MMGY Global
- VisitScotland; Laura Davidson Public Relations
- Singapore Airlines; Weber Shandwick
- Hilton Worldwide; Edelman
- Best Western Hotels & Resorts; Allison and Partners
- Visit Huntington Beach; Development Counsellors International
At the Adrian Awards Dinner Reception, Gold winners' submissions were shown on digital displays and featured throughout the Gala stage presentations, including in "Trend Spotting" presentations on "Consumers as Publishers" where marketers are positioning themselves as curators of this consumer-created content, and "Experiential Marketing" with examples ranging from an augmented reality app to a mobile museum.
HSMAI presented its 2015 Top 25 Extraordinary Minds in Hospitality Sales, Marketing, Revenue Optimization in a reception co-sponsored by Questex Hospitality + Travel and congratulated them on stage during the Gala.
Two industry leaders were honored with HSMAI Lifetime Achievement awards. George Aguel, president and CEO of Visit Orlando, received the Albert E. Koehl Award for Lifetime Achievement in Hospitality Marketing.
"When I was given the wonderful news about being selected for this award, I quickly began to think about what my career's been like for these 40 plus years and there's no doubt it's been a real good one," said Aguel.
Gordon Lambourne, senior vice president, consumer public relations, at Marriott International, Inc., was the recipient of the Winthrop W. Grice Award for Lifetime Achievement in Hospitality Public Relations.
"I have embarked on a journey of experiences. My job was a true dream job, every day, every year," said Lambourne. "I have been blessed personally and professionally and Marriott has been my rock."
The sixth annual Leader in Sustainable Tourism award, presented by HSMAI and National Geographic Traveler, went to Wilderness Safaris and their agency Hawkins International Public Relations.
The photos from last evening show the winners' excitement over being recognized for their accomplishments. Please credit Getty Images when using event photos.
The Hospitality Sales and Marketing Association International (HSMAI) is committed to growing business for hotels and their partners, and is the industry"s leading advocate for intelligent, sustainable hotel revenue growth. The association provides hotel professionals & their partners with tools, insights, and expertise to fuel sales, inspire marketing, and optimize revenue through programs such as HSMAI Digital Marketing Strategy Conference, Adrian Awards, and Revenue Optimization Conference. Founded in 1927 and celebrating 90 years in 2017, HSMAI is a membership organization comprising more than 7,000 members worldwide, with 40 chapters in the Americas Region. Connect with HSMAI at http://www.hsmai.org,www.facebook.com/hsmai, www.twitter.com/hsmai, and www.youtube.com/hsmai1.
HSMAI is the leading association of sales and marketing professionals in the hospitality industry. With over 7,000 members in 35 countries, HSMAI is a global network of individuals, chapters, businesses and organizations. All industry segments are represented including hotels, resorts, airlines, cruise ships, car rental agencies, restaurants, attractions and theme parks, convention and visitors bureaus, destination management companies and reservation sales organizations.
As the regional chapter for the metropolitan area, HSMAI Greater New York serves a community of over 500 hospitality professionals who are committed to the highest standards of service and ongoing professional development.
Membership is open to anyone in hospitality sales, marketing or management as well as travel and tourism educators and service providers who support the industry. HSMAI continues to lead the industry by providing education and market research to its members.