Summer In The City: Marriott International Study Finds Cities Top The List For Vacation Plans
New York City, Orlando and Chicago top travelers’ lists Children ages 6-12 have greatest involvement in picking trip destinations
"Pack your walking shoes because for the second year in a row, city destinations are at the top of travelers' lists," said Brian King, Global Officer, Digital, Distribution & Global Sales, Marriott International. "Travelers are heading to the cities to soak up the summer sun in urban destinations like New York City and Chicago which come alive in the summer with amazing food, festivals, and live outdoor concerts."
So where are people going this summer? Here's a peak at the top five destinations for vacations this summer's most heavily traveled weekends, based on an analysis of over 1 million Marriott.com searches and bookings:
Memorial Day Weekend Travel
The first official holiday weekend of summer promises to be a busy one when it comes to weekend getaways. The top five most booked cities for Memorial Day Weekend travel topping the list:
- New York City
- San Diego
Marriott's study also found that, similar to international Fourth of July travel, Toronto and Vancouver were two of the top choices for international non-holiday summer weekend getaways.
In addition, Marriott's survey also reported on notable summer travel trends:
- US consumers are planning to take an average of two leisure trips this summer
- Half of consumers report taking their longest vacation of the year in the summer
- The beach, pool, and restaurant are the top three favorite summer hotel amenities
- Meals, visiting attractions, exploring places, and outdoor activities are the top ways to reconnect with family
- Millennials are more likely to increase their number of leisure trips this year vs. last year
- Visiting a city, beach, or state/national park are the top three planned travel destinations while 12 percent are heading to a vineyard or brewery
- Family travel is set to be more popular than ever this year, and 64% of these families reported taking their longest vacation of the year during the summer
- On average, families with children have more days off and leisure trips planned for this summer
- Children ages 6-12 tend to have the heaviest involvement in selecting trip destinations
- Almost half of parents restrict the time their children spend with TV and digital devices while on vacation with 22 percent saying no devices on vacation
All data is from over 1 million Marriott.com searches and bookings, as well as a digital survey of more than 2,000 individuals 18 and over, to determine summer travel preferences between Memorial Day and Labor Day weekends. The inaugural U.S. Summer Travel Trends Report was released in 2017.
About Marriott International, Inc.
Marriott International, Inc. (NASDAQ: MAR) is based in Bethesda, Maryland, USA, and encompasses a portfolio of more than 6,700 properties in 30 leading hotel brands spanning 130 countries and territories. Marriott operates and franchises hotels and licenses vacation ownership resorts all around the world. The company also operates award-winning loyalty programs: Marriott Rewards®, which includes The Ritz-Carlton Rewards®, and Starwood Preferred Guest®. For more information, please visit our website at www.marriott.com, and for the latest company news, visit www.marriottnewscenter.com. In addition, connect with us on Facebook and @MarriottIntl on Twitter and Instagram.