Gen Z Travelers: More Open to Influence and Inspiration Than Other Generations
New Research from Expedia Group Media Solutions Illustrates How Younger Generations are Shaping the Future of Travel
BELLEVUE, Wash. -- New insights released today by Expedia Group™ Media Solutions, the advertising arm of Expedia Group, illustrate the behaviors, attitudes and influences of younger travelers around the world, and shine a light on how Generation Z is redefining the rules of engagement for travel marketers. Presented at The Phocuswright Conference, the findings reveal that Gen Z are deal-driven, frequent travelers who embrace the YOLO (you only live once) mentality and have a passion for activities and bucket list experiences.
"Like their Millennial predecessors, Gen Z are prioritizing travel, but they are much more receptive to inspiration and information, and more reliant on their smartphones at nearly every stage of the purchase journey than other generations," said Lisa Lindberg, Vice President of Product Management, Expedia Group Media Solutions. "As the first fully digital generation, Gen Z travelers can be influenced by social media and advertising, especially appealing images and deals, so marketers should implement a content-rich, mobile-friendly and multiplatform approach to successfully reach this valuable audience."
Destination Indecisive with Diverse Trip Preferences & Priorities
- Two-thirds of Gen Z travelers are undecided on a destination when they decide to take a trip, and their diverse trip preferences illustrate broad opportunities for marketers to entice them.
- Relaxing, sightseeing and visiting family are the most popular trip types for Gen Z travelers, but they are also more likely than other generations to take an activity-based vacation (i.e. skiing or hiking), or travel for a special event (i.e. concert, festival, sports) or a party.
- When asked to prioritize, Gen Z rank activities and once in a lifetime trips or bucket list experiences well ahead of deals or lowest price, even more so than other generations.
Opportunities Abound for Inspiration & Influence
- Seventy-seven percent of Gen Z travelers are open to help and inspiration when planning a trip, and nearly 70 percent use their smartphone when looking for travel inspiration.
- Eighty-four percent of Gen Z travelers said social media can be influential, particularly deals or promotions and travel pictures or videos from friends or experts.
- Appealing deals and images are also impactful for the more than 60 percent of Gen Z who said advertising can be influential, revealing a receptive audience for travel marketers.
- Given that budget is a consideration for eight in 10 Gen Z travelers, ads combining inspirational images with deal messaging may help convert this audience.
Burgeoning Bleisure Travelers
- Although millennials are currently outpacing Gen Z in business travel - 6.4 business trips per year versus 4.8 trips - both generations are capitalizing on and saving for opportunities to extend business travel for leisure, or bleisure.
- Sixty-six percent of Gen Z business trips were extended for leisure, and 88 percent of Gen Z travelers save for bleisure travel. Bleisure travel will likely increase as more Gen Z enter the workforce in the coming years, illustrating a burgeoning opportunity for travel marketers.
- Destination marketers looking to engage and convert younger bleisure travelers should highlight entertainment and activities - 41 percent of Gen Z said this a leading factor in their bleisure travel decisions.
- Gen Z travelers prioritize experiences ahead of price, but budget is still a consideration, so marketers should promote unique offerings - grounded in a great deal.
- Most travelers are undecided on a destination when they decide to take a trip, illustrating an opportunity to influence through relevant content and advertising.
- Gen Z are more likely than other generations to take an activity-based trip or travel for a special event or party, but they're also visiting and traveling with family - and influencing their family's travel decisions.
- Younger generations can be influenced by social media and advertising, especially through appealing deals, photos and videos.
- Bleisure travel will become more prominent in the coming years, due in part to the large and growing Gen Z workforce.
For more data and actionable insights that marketers can leverage to reach Gen Z and Millennial travelers, and to view the full "A Look Ahead: How Younger Generations are Shaping the Future of Travel" research, please visit: bit.ly/gen-z-research. Check out our blog and connect with us on Twitter and LinkedIn for more travel trends and insights.
About Expedia Group Media Solutions
Expedia Group™ Media Solutions, the advertising arm of Expedia Group, offers industry expertise and digital marketing solutions that allow brands to reach, engage and influence its qualified audience of travelers around the world. Through its vast network of leading travel brands and global points of sale, Expedia Group Media Solutions provides marketing partners with proprietary data-driven insights about traveler behaviors during every stage of the purchase journey, along with dynamic advertising solutions, to deliver strategic campaigns and measurable results. For more information, visit www.advertising.expedia.com.
Trademarks and logos are the property of their respective owners. © 2018 Expedia, Inc. All rights reserved.