Hotel Lawyer Top Picks for 2006
Author of www.HotelLawBlog.com
By Jim Butler, Chairman, JMBM’s Global Hospitality Group
Hotel Lawyer Top Picks of 2006. Yes, 2006 has been a record year for many in the hospitality industry, and for the hotel lawyers at Jeffer, Mangels, Butler & Marmaro LLP. As we have already given our Outlook for 2007, we thought it might be interesting to look back on our Top Pick articles from 2006 from
Here they are . . . Top Picks of 2006!
ADA (AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT)
- Hospitality Lawyer — Who’s crying “Woof”? What you must know about the ADA requirements for disabled guests and their service animals . . .
- Hospitality Lawyer — Landmark ADA case could provide relief for California hotels.
- Condo Hotel Lawyer—What is fanning the condo hotel wild fire in Latin America, the Caribbean, Europe, China, India and the Middle East?
- Condo Hotel Lawyer — Las Vegas Report: What drives successful sellouts today?
- Hospitality Lawyer — New model for Condo Hotel regulation? In lieu taxes?
- Condo Hotel Fundamentals—5 Keys to Success!
- Hotel Mixed Use development gets a big boost from Barry Sternlicht’s “1” Hotel and Residences brand and Waldorf=Astoria Residences in Las Vegas
- Hospitality Lawyer — Trump’s luxury residential mixed-use project in Hawaii sells out in 8 hours. New sales record claimed.
- Condo Hotels’ Enduring Legacy: Hotel-Enhanced Mixed-Use
BRANDS (TOPIC is “Management and Franchise Agreements”)
- Hospitality Lawyer on hotel brands — How far will the pendulum swing? What’s in a name? Just ask Starwood, Hilton . . . Coca-Cola or Procter & Gamble
- Hospitality Lawyer Baja Mexico — So what’s a brand? How did Trump get into this conversation?
INTERNATIONAL HOTEL INVESTMENT
- Hotel Lawyer — What do the InterContinental takeover rumors mean? Why IHG? Why now? Who will win the bid?
- Hospitality Lawyer — Why we’re building hotels in India like crazy!
LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT
- Hotel Labor & Employment Lawyer Report — Unite Here gets slapped for outrageous behavior! Sutter Health Implications Part I
- Hotel Labor & Employment — Unite Here goes too far. Class action suit by employees for invasion of privacy provides critical limits on union organizing activities.
- Hotel Lawyer: What to do when the hotel union comes knocking! Neutrality agreements, card-check agreements and peace agreements.
LAND USE & ENTITLEMENTS
- Hospitality Lawyer — Coachella Valley Development in focus. Fastest growing area in Southern California
OUTLOOK AND TRENDS
- Hospitality Lawyer — What women really want!
- Hospitality Lawyer on hotel mixed-use development projects in China, India, Mexico, the Caribbean, Guam — What the experts say now.
- Hospitality Lawyer — Hotels in China, India and Mexico are capturing the imagination and resources of the hotel industry
WORKOUTS, BANKRUPTCIES & RECEIVERSHIPS
Our Perspective. We represent developers, owners and lenders. We have helped our clients as business and legal advisors on more than $40 billion of hotel transactions, involving more than 1,000 properties all over the world. For more information, please contact Jim Butler at [email protected] or 310.201.3526.
Jim Butler is one of the top hotel lawyers in the world. GOOGLE “hotel lawyer” or “hotel mixed-use” or “condo hotel lawyer” and you will see why.
Jim devotes 100% of his practice to hospitality, representing hotel owners, developers and lenders. Jim leads JMBM’s Global Hospitality Group® — a team of 50 seasoned professionals with more than $40 billion of hotel transactional experience, involving more than 1,000 properties located around the globe.
Jim and his team are more than “just” great hotel lawyers. They are also hospitality consultants and business advisors. They are deal makers. They can help find the right operator or capital provider. They know who to call and how to reach them. They are a major gateway of hotel finance, facilitating the flow of capital with their legal skill, hospitality industry knowledge and ability to find the right “fit” for all parts of the capital stack. Because they are part of the very fabric of the hotel industry, they are able to help clients identify key business goals, assemble the right team, strategize the approach to optimize value and then get the deal done.
Jim is frequently quoted as an expert on hotel issues by national and industry publications such as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Los Angeles Times, Forbes, BusinessWeek, and Hotel Business. A frequent author and speaker, Jim's books, articles and many expert panel presentations cover topics reflecting his practice, including hotel and hotel-mixed use investment and development, negotiating, re-negotiating or terminating hotel management agreements, acquisition and sale of hospitality properties, hotel finance, complex joint venture and entity structure matters, workouts, as well as many operating and strategic issues.
Jim Butler is a Founding Partner of Jeffer, Mangels, Butler & Marmaro LLP and he is Chairman of the firm's Global Hospitality Group®. If you would like to discuss any hospitality or condo hotel matters, Jim would like to hear from you. Contact him at [email protected] or 310.201.3526. For his views on current industry issues, visit .
Jim Butler is a founding partner of JMBM, and the founder and chairman of JMBM’s Global Hospitality Group® and Chinese Investment Group™. He is recognized as one of the top hotel lawyers in the world and has authored or co- authored The HMA & Franchise Agreement Handbook, How to Buy a Hotel Handbook, and The Lenders Handbook.More from Jim Butler