The Death of Yesterday’s PMS: Embracing the New Normal
The PMS' role as the center of a hotel's technology ecosystem is coming to an end. Crucial guest data sits locked up in today's disconnected data silos, making it very difficult for hotels/brands to optimize and bank in on the 'digital guest journey'. True? If so, how could a future application/data infrastructure or migration path look like? What's your take?
In order to leverage from the digitalization or Big Data, hotels have to create a strategy to centrally manage all relevant data sources in one Central Data Management (CDM) platform. This of course is not the PMS. Even the new cloud based systems are not made to become the centerpiece for a digitalisation strategy.
What are the steps to become customer/data centric?
1. Bring at least the data of the top 7 data sources in one CDM system together: PMS, POS, WIFI, Table Reservation, Newsletter, Website, Questionnaire system.
2. Clean the data fully automatically (data integrity is king)
3. Create a central profile without manual interaction!
4. Use AI and machine learning to transform the data into real customer knowledge. Create guest interests by using the existing data from questionnaires, link tracking, bookings ...
5. Distribute and use the new knowledge everywhere. Do not make the mistake and leave it in a CRM system mainly used in marketing. Everything must be customized to the individual needs of the consumer from the guest recognition at the front desk, to F&B, housekeeping, marketing communication, pricing, website...
6. Adapt the organizational structure to make the disruption possible. It is change management and a CEO topic!