Ninety-Two Percent of Travelers Taking Summer Vacation in 2006
According to TripAdvisor Survey; Results Reveal Soaring Fuel Costs Won't Deter Travelers This Summer
NEEDHAM, Mass. | TripAdvisor, the largest travel community in the world, has announced results from a summer travel survey of more than 2,300 respondents, revealing that the great majority of travelers are taking vacation this summer and intend to spend at least half their annual vacation time during that period. Key statistics are provided below.
ON THE MOVE
- 92 percent of travelers intend to take a vacation this summer
- 70 percent of travelers said the rising cost of fuel will not interfere with their travel plans
- 54 percent of travelers plan to take at least half of their annual vacation time this summer
- 63 percent of travelers are planning to leave their home country for vacation this summer
- 78 percent of travelers plan to travel by airplane for vacation this summer and 78 percent also intend to travel via car this summer
- 29 percent of travelers intend to spend more money on their summer vacations in 2006 than they did in 2005
- 28 percent of travelers intend to take more vacation time this summer than last
HITTING THE BEACH
- 52 percent of travelers plan to visit a beach destination and 49 percent plan to visit a major metropolitan area this summer
- More travelers are planning to go to Florida than any other destination for vacation this summer, followed by California and Las Vegas
- The most popular destinations outside the U.S. are Italy, Canada and France
- If given a chance to vacation at any beach destination in the world, regardless of cost and distance, the Polynesian Islands were the top choice among travelers followed by the Hawaiian Islands and the Greek Isles
- 71 percent of travelers plan to stay at a hotel during their vacation this summer, up from 2005
TAKE ME OUT TO THE BALL GAME
- About one quarter of all travelers, and 39 percent of U.S. respondents, intend to go to a baseball game this summer
- Despite the World Cup in Germany this summer, a mere seven percent of the overall panel and 12 percent of respondents from outside the U.S. intend to see a live soccer match this summer
The survey data referenced above was analyzed by third party independent market research firm, Questus. Questus assisted in survey design and provided all programming, data collection, data tabulating and reporting.
About TripAdvisor LLC | TripAdvisor.com(TM) is the largest global travel information and advice destination on the web, with more than 4 million unbiased reviews and opinions and covering 200,000+ hotels and attractions. With more than 20 million unique monthly visitors worldwide (source: comScore Media Metrix, March 2006), TripAdvisor(TM) was the second most visited travel web domain in March, featuring real advice from real travelers and easy access to major online travel sites, including Expedia.com(R), Orbitz, Hotels.com(R) and American Airlines, for great deals. TripAdvisor(TM), which operates sites in the U.S. (http://www.tripadvisor.com) and in the U.K. (http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk) provides travel suppliers a graphical advertising and cost-per-click marketing platform. Winner of dozens of awards, including PC Magazine's Top 100 Web Sites and Forbes Best of the Web, TripAdvisor(TM) is an operating company of Expedia, Inc. (Nasdaq: EXPE).
"TripAdvisor" and "TripAdvisor.com" are trademarks or registered trademarks in the U.S. and/or other countries of TripAdvisor LLC. Other product and company names mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.
Phone: (781) 444-1113 x275