Expedia.com Reveals Sizable Uptick in Travel for 2014 Labor Day Weekend; Holiday Shaping Up to Be One of the Busiest in Recent Years
Compared to 2013, the Unofficial End of Summer to See 20% Increase in Demand for Air Tickets, More than 30% Increase in Demand for Hotel Rooms, More than 35% Increase in Car Rental Demand
In 2014, demand for air tickets over Labor Day weekend has increased 20%, with the majority of travelers departing on Friday, August 29. Demand for hotel rooms is up more than 30% and hotel room rates have increased as well, averaging just over $180 per night over this holiday weekend, up approximately 3% from 2013. While demand for car rentals has increased more than 35%, rental rates are slightly lower this Labor Day weekend indicating there are still good deals to be found.
"The increase in activity is unusual – Labor Day is traditionally more of a 'stay local' holiday versus peak summer weekends," saidSarah Gavin, Expedia Senior Editor. Her top tips for saving over Labor Day Weekend include:
1) Consider off-the-beaten track destinations – the most popular destinations are often the most expensive.
2) Be flexible with your flying schedule – consider flying on Saturday morning or extending your trip through Monday evening.
3) Book your flights and hotels as a package – on Expedia.com, this can save travelers hundreds.
Expedia has analyzed booking data to pinpoint prospective destinations that are yielding the best Labor Day deals. Destinations include:
- Palm Springs, CA - Hotel rates are down 12% from last year
- Charleston, SC – Hotel rates are down 10% from last year
- Virginia Beach, VA – Hotel rates are down nearly 9% from last year
- Ocean City, MD – Hotels rates are down 4% from last year
- Austin, TX – Average hotel rates are $177 per night, down 8% from last year
- New Orleans, LA – Average hotel rates are $172 per night
- Washington, DC – Average hotel rates are $145 per night
- Denver, CO – Average hotel rates are $144 per night
The top ten most popular destinations for Labor Day weekend include:
- Las Vegas, NV
- Chicago, IL – Hotel bookings are up more than 130% from last year
- New York City, NY – Hotel rates are down 7% from last year
- Atlanta, GA
San Diego, CA
Orange County, CA
Los Angeles, CA
Houston, TX – Hotel bookings are up more than 220% from last year and room rates are only$154 per night
Standout hotel deals for Labor Day weekend include: Desert Princess Palm Springs Golf Resort in Palm Springs for $130 per night, Barksdale House Inn in Charleston at $202 per night, Virginia Beach's Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel at $119 per night, The Quad Resort and Casino in Las Vegas at $97 per night, The Palmer House Hilton in Chicago at $162 per night and Manhattan's Yotel New York at Times Square at $192 per night.
*All flight and car data is based on flight and bookings on E.com between January 1 – July 20, 2014 for travel beginning betweenAugust 28 – September 1, 2014
*All hotel data is based on standalone hotel bookings on E.com between January 1 – July 20, 2014 for travel beginning betweenAugust 28 – September 1, 2014
Expedia.com is the world's leading online travel site, helping millions of travelers per month easily plan and book travel. Expedia.com (http://www.expedia.com/, 1-800-EXPEDIA) aims to provide the latest technology and the widest selection of vacation packages, flights, hotels, rental cars, cruises and in-destination activities, attractions, and services. With the Expedia Best Price Guarantee, Expedia.com customers can get the best rates available online for all types of travel.
Expedia, Expedia.com, the Airplane logo and Vacation Deprivation are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Expedia, Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. Other logos or product and company names mentioned herein may be the property of their respective owners.