U.S. Travelers Need Time Off More Than Ever: Survey+ Finds Half are More Stressed Than a Year Ago [Infographic]
Wyndham study identifies vacation stressors and solutions to get "Vacation Ready;" company introduces more than 20 locally-curated experience guides, stress-reducing travel tips and deals just in time for summer
- Too many choices: Two in three (67%) vacationers have become stressed due to 'information overload' and are paralyzed with too many choices when researching and planning. Two in five (41%) get stressed about scheduling things to do during their trip.
- Trouble leaving the daily grind behind: Once on vacation, it takes time to unwind and forget about the stress of work and personal responsibilities. Three in 10 (30%) U.S. travelers don't feel truly relaxed until the second day of vacation or later.
- Relationship-testing moments: Two in three (67%) have argued with a travel companion as a result of stress caused by planning or taking a vacation. One in four (25%) have even broken up with a significant other while traveling. The good news? One in four (26%) have also met the love of their life on vacation.
"Times have changed and the daily demands of everyday life have travelers thinking differently about vacation," says Gail Mandel, CEO, Wyndham Vacation Rentals. "At Wyndham, we understand vacations are more important than ever and that getting away shouldn't feel like work. We offer travelers a place to feel at home, as well as a team of local professionals to provide assistance should they need it, so they can relax and enjoy their vacation stress-free."
The survey revealed the following ways travelers can make their vacation stress-free:
- Don't wait until the last minute to pack: Packing is so dreaded that half of all respondents said they would give up alcohol for a month or social media for a week to avoid doing it! Travelers can reduce the stress of packing though without making such a sacrifice. Nearly two in three (65%) say not procrastinating on packing your bags would minimize stress.
- Unplug from work: Creating separation from work helps travelers get into a vacation-ready mindset. More than half (56%) felt not checking work email and voicemail reduces stress. The majority of travelers said taking an extra day off work before leaving for vacation or coming back a few days before returning to work would also help.
- Space, clean clothes and closed doors: More than three in five vacationers (62%) think booking accommodations with space and privacy would make their next vacation less stressful and half of vacationers (50%) think that being able to do laundry would help.
Wyndham Helps Travelers Be Vacation Ready
With the overload of vacation planning information available today, nearly half (48%) of all respondents said having a ready-made vacation itinerary would reduce stress. To make it quick and easy for travelers to plan their next great vacation, Wyndham's team of local market experts curated experience guides for more than 20 popular destinations from Charleston's Islands in South Carolina to Palm Springs, California. The week-long itineraries strike the perfect balance between downtime and "go" time, so travelers can relax while still seeing the best of each location and experiencing hidden gems when it comes to dining and shopping.
In addition to the guides, Wyndham has also created a planning hub that includes tips for overcoming the biggest travel pain points and great summer travel deals to further help the everyday traveler get vacation-ready. To visit the Wyndham planning hub, go to www.BeVacationReady.com.
The 2017 'Vacation Ready' survey was conducted online from April 19 to 21, 2017 by APCO Insight on behalf of Wyndham Vacation Rentals among a nationally representative audience of 1,037 adults age 18+. To qualify, respondents must have gone on or planned a vacation in the last 12 months. Survey respondents were targeted to be representative of the national population of adults on age, gender, and region. The purpose of the 'Vacation Ready' survey is to examine the amount of 'vacation stress' everyday travelers encounter and how it directly affects their lives and relationships.
About Wyndham Vacation Rentals
Wyndham Vacation Rentals, the world's largest professional manager of vacation rental properties, is part of Wyndham Destination Network and the Wyndham Worldwide family of brands (NYSE: WYN). Backed by one of the world's largest hospitality companies, Wyndham Vacation Rentals provides access to more than 117,000 vacation rental properties in nearly 650 unique destinations worldwide. Wyndham works closely with property owners to ensure all rentals meet its standards for customer service, quality and comfort. More than 25 regional rental brands fall under the Wyndham Vacation Rentals umbrella including Hoseasons, James Villa Holidays, Landal GreenParks, Novasol, and http://www.novasol.com/ ResortQuest. Through this collection, Wyndham delivers distinct vacation experiences ranging from beachfront condos, private homes and villas to castles and houseboats. Many properties offer kitchens, washers and dryers and other home-like conveniences along with maid service, spas, fitness centers, and golf courses. For additional information visit our media center or wyndhamvacationrentals.com. Also find us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram and Google+.
ABOUT WYNDHAM WORLDWIDE
Wyndham Worldwide (NYSE: WYN) is one of the largest global hospitality companies, providing travelers with access to a collection of trusted hospitality brands in hotels, vacation ownership, and unique accommodations including vacation exchange, holiday parks, and managed home rentals. With a collective inventory of nearly 130,000 places to stay across more than 110 countries on six continents, Wyndham Worldwide and its 38,000 associates welcome people to experience travel the way they want. This is enhanced by Wyndham Rewards®, the Company's re-imagined guest loyalty program across its businesses, which is making it simpler for members to earn more rewards and redeem their points faster. For more information, please visit www.wyndhamworldwide.com.
ABOUT WYNDHAM HOTEL GROUP
Wyndham Hotel Group, the world's largest hotel company based on number of hotels, is one of three hospitality business units of Wyndham Worldwide. Driving the democratization of travel, Wyndham Hotel Group is elevating the experience of the everyday traveler. As both a leading hotel brand franchisor and hotel management services provider, the company's global network consists of approximately 8,350 hotels and over 720,100 rooms in more than 75 countries under the following brands: The Trademark Hotel Collection®, Dolce Hotels and Resorts®, Wyndham Grand®, Dazzler® Hotels, Esplendor® Boutique Hotels, Wyndham Hotels & Resorts®, Wyndham Garden® Hotels, TRYP by Wyndham®, Wingate by Wyndham®, Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham®, Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham®, Ramada®, Baymont Inn & Suites®, Days Inn®, Super 8®, Howard Johnson®, AmericInn®, Travelodge® and Knights Inn®. The Wyndham Rewards® program, named a best hotel rewards program for the past three years by U.S. News and World Report, offers more than 53 million enrolled members the opportunity to redeem points at more than 30,000 hotels, condos and homes globally. For more information, visit www.wyndhamhotels.com.