ALIS Names the 2018 Award Winners for Developments, Single Asset Transactions and M&A of the Year
The Americas Lodging Investment Summit (ALIS), honored the executives and companies responsible for the most influential hotel industry deals in 2017 with the prestigious ALIS awards. The winners were announced on Wednesday, January 24th, during the ALIS conference, which ran from January 22-24, 2018 at the JW Marriott and Microsoft Theater at L.A. LIVE. Nominees for the awards are evaluated based on outstanding business performance in various industry sectors.
- In the category of Development of the Year (Full Service) 2017 (includes branded and unbranded – luxury and upper upscale chain scales, and casinos), the winner was the InterContinental Downtown Los Angeles in Los Angeles, California. The 889-room InterContinental Los Angeles Downtown hotel was developed by Hanjin International Corporation/Korean Air and is managed by InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG).
- In the category of Development of the Year Select/Limited Service 2017 (includes branded and unbranded – upscale, upper midscale, midscale, and economy chain scales), the winner was the Moxy Times Square in New York, New York. The 612-room Moxy Times Square was developed by a partnership between Lightstone and Marriott International for US$350 Million and is managed by Magna Hospitality Group.
- In the category of Single Asset Transaction of the Year (US$25M & Under) 2017, the winner was The Stiles Hotel in Miami Beach, Florida. Blue Road purchased the 57-room boutique hotel from Carlyle Group for US$17.5 Million.
- In the category of Single Asset Transaction of the Year (Over US$25M) 2017, the winner was The Ritz-Carlton Bacara, Santa Barbara in Goleta, California. A joint venture between Carey Watermark Investors Inc. and Carey Watermark Investors 2 Inc. (collectively "CWI") acquired the 358-room The Bacara Resort & Spa (converted to The Ritz-Carlton Bacara, Santa Barbara) from Pacific Hospitality Group for US$380 Million.
- In the category of Merger & Acquisition of the Year 2017, the winner was RLJ Lodging Trust acquired FelCor Lodging Trust in an all-stock transaction that equated to approximately US$2.7 Billion.
- In the category of Jack A. Shaffer Financial Advisor of the Year 2017, the winner was Daniel C. Peek, Sr. Managing Director – Head of the Global Hospitality Group, HFF.
JP Ford chaired the ALIS Development of the Year committee, John R. Karver chaired the ALIS Single Asset Transaction of the Year committee, Michael Murphy chaired the ALIS Merger & Acquisition of the Year committee and Thomas J. Corcoran, Jr. chaired the ALIS Jack A. Shaffer Financial Advisor of the Year committee. Produced by Northstar Travel Group, in association with the American Hotel & Lodging Association (AH&LA) and Burba Hotel Network (BHN), the two-and-a-half-day ALIS event featured an extensive array of seminars and panels hosted by leading experts and investors discussing important trends and identifying new opportunities. The conference attracts the lodging industry's leading hotel executives, investors, lenders, developers, and professional advisory community. Visit the ALIS website for additional information, www.ALISconference.com.
About Northstar Travel Group
Northstar Travel Group is the global leader of business intelligence, information, data, research, digital marketing services, and events for senior-level professionals in the travel, meetings, and hospitality industries. The Northstar portfolio includes; Travel Weekly, Travel Weekly China, Travel Weekly Asia, TravelAge West, Business Travel News, The Beat, Travel Procurement, Web in Travel, Phocuswright, Burba Hotel Network, Successful Meetings, Meetings & Conventions, Meetings & Conventions China, Incentive, Association News, Sports Travel, and 75 annual events in thirteen countries including leading events such as ALIS, HICAP, Phocuswright, TEAMS, Web in Travel, and Mountain Travel Symposium. Northstar is also the majority shareholder in Inntopia. Northstar Travel Group, www.northstartravelgroup.com, is owned by EagleTree Capital and is based in Secaucus, NJ, with offices in New York, NY; Denver, CO; Los Angeles, CA; Winston-Salem, NC; Stowe, VT; Edwards, CO; Glen Ellyn, IL; Costa Mesa, CA; and global offices in Singapore, Beijing, and Shanghai.
About the American Hotel & Lodging Association (AHLA)
Serving the hospitality industry for more than a century, the American Hotel & Lodging Association (AHLA) is the sole national association representing all segments of the 8 million jobs the U.S. lodging industry supports, including hotel owners, REITs, chains, franchisees, management companies, independent properties, bed and breakfasts, state hotel associations, and industry suppliers. Headquartered in Washington, D.C., AHLA focuses on strategic advocacy, communications support, and educational resources for an industry that advances long-term career opportunities for employees, invests in local communities across the country and hosts more than one billion guests' stays in American hotels every year. AHLA proudly represents a dynamic hotel industry of more than 54,000 properties that supports $1.1 trillion in U.S. sales and generates nearly $170 billion in taxes to local, state, and federal governments. Learn more at www.AHLA.com.
JW Marriott and Microsoft Theatre — Los Angeles, CA United States
With over three decades of experience, more than 150 events completed to-date, and in excess of 100,000 international delegates, BHN conferences have become "must attend" events for industry leaders who come together to network, conduct business, and to learn about the latest trends. BHN events include: the Americas Lodging Investment Summit (ALIS) in Los Angeles; ALIS Law in Los Angeles; ALIS Summer Update; Alternative Ownership Conference Asia Pacific (AOCAP) in Singapore; Caribbean Hotel & Resort Investment Summit (CHRIS) in Miami; Hotel Investment Conference Asia Pacific (HICAP) in Hong Kong; HICAP UPDATE in Singapore; Hotel Investment Forum India (HIFI) in Mumbai; Hotel Opportunities Latin America (HOLA) conference in Miami; Hotel Investment Conference Europe (Hot.E) in London; and HotelsWorld in Sydney. The BHN website at www.Burba.com is the gateway for information about the conferences BHN produces, as well as a direct link to important players in the hospitality investment world. BHN is a division of Northstar Travel Group.