Design Hotels™ Presents Eight New Members
While it may be the dog days of summer, the folks at Design Hotels™ are still doing what they do best: bringing uniquely crafted hospitality experiences to the design savvy and adventure seeking among us. A fresh crop of eight takes us through Europe and ends in Africa, highlighting both sublime city locales and island paradises. After all, life is about balance. And exceptional hotels.
- Just opened in the exciting Greek capital city of Athens, Perianth Hotel is a neo-modernist marvel in Agia Eirini, a lovely Byzantine-era square near many of the city's major attractions. A focus on contemporary Greek art and design means an abundance of local artists are on display, as is the city's buzzy cultural scene.
- A short hop to Santorini, the idyllic enclave of Istoria awaits, a high-luxury affair designed by the Athens-based Interior Design Laboratorium. Here, steps from the black volcanic shores of the southern east coast, a world of simplicity and rural respite reigns.
- Staying on Santorini, this time on the north western shores, the three-room Vora's cliffside setting is as dramatic as it is private. Greek design stars K-Studio (also behind the design of Perianth Hotel and Scorpios) have used sleek Cycladic aesthetics to offset the ruff-and-tumble rocky surroundings.
- Hopping islands, the port of Zakynthos beckons with the opening of Olea All Suite Hotel & Spa. Among 93 luxury suites, a meandering river-like water feature runs through the property both conceptually and physically. Leaving the eternal sunshine of Greece, next up is the thriving student city of Göttingen, Germany.
- The newly opened Hotel Freigeist Göttingen sits in the heart of a new district—creating a hub for artists, world travelers, and perennial students of life.
- Once home to a cheese, fur, and leather-trading company, the newly transformed Spedition in Thun, Switzerland, is a contemporary nod to Old World tradition. The building housing the 15-room hotel is more than 1oo years old and has been designed by Design Stylt Trampoli AB—taking its inspiration from a patrician villa.
- Should the cooler winter climes of Europe necessitate an escape plan, central Africa is answering the call. In Gigiri, a verdant residential suburb in the north of Kenya's capital city Nairobi, the Trademark Hotel is a hive of public spaces and modern African design.
- For those seeking some of the best beaches anywhere in the world, Zuri Zanzibar—the first Design Hotels™ member on the Tanzanian archipelago—is the ultimate spot to take in the natural beauty of the island. 55 villas and bungalows peer from curtains of lush greenery while Indian Ocean sunsets steal the spotlight.
ABOUT DESIGN HOTELS™
Design Hotels™ represents and markets a curated selection of more than 300 privately owned hotels across the globe. Design Hotels offers them an international platform as well as comprehensive services: Conception, positioning, marketing, sales and other services and measures to optimize their revenues. As part of a worldwide creative network Design Hotels provides for innovation and exchange of ideas among its members, guests and visionary people from other branches. None of the Design Hotels members equals another. Each one has its own character, history and kind and manner how it blends in with the environment. All houses are connected through their uniqueness. They are formed by their creators, hoteliers, architects, designers and other creative minds whose passion form unrivalled events based on good ideas.
Founded by Claus Sendlinger in 1993, Design Hotels™ offers its members insightful travel industry knowledge, from market trend consultancy to international sales representation. The company has its headquarters in Berlin and branches in London, Los Angeles, New York and Singapore. Executive Board members are: Peter Cole (CEO), Serdar Kutucu (COO) and Sascha Wolff (CFO).
In 2015, Design Hotels™ joined forces with Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG®), enabling its member hotels to have both a greater and more selective reach while offering its Community the benefit of a prominent loyalty program. Since February 13, 2019 Marriott International unites the former SPG®, Marriott Rewards® and The Ritz-Carlton Rewards® into the leading loyalty program of the industry: Marriott Bonvoy. Members can earn and redeem point in participating Design Hotels™ members.