Home2 Suites by Hilton Outlines More Design and Sustainability Details for Future Developers
Although discussed at the initial launch of the brand in late January 2009, the sustainability features were not outlined in such detail until now. Home2 Suites has taken careful consideration into balancing the environmental impact with an uncompromised guest experience.
Here are some of the elements we’ve incorporated into our initial design, with more to come:
- Each of our hotels will incorporate WaterSense plumbing fixtures by Kohler, the 2008 WaterSense Manufacturing Partner of the Year. WaterSense is a partnership program sponsored by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to promote water-efficient products and practices across the country.
- Our dual-flush Kohler toilets are a first in the U.S. hotel market. These WaterSense labeled toilets use at least 20 percent less water and perform as well as or better than their less efficient counterparts. One button for lighter flushes and another for heavier flushes.
- Home2 properties will offer tamper-resistant bulk shower amenities, including shampoo/conditioner and body wash. Another first in the U.S. hotel market, these bulk dispensers will dramatically cut down on the amount of plastic being used (versus traditional amenity bottles) and provide a high-quality product for the guest.
- The building materials used in Home2 construction include a carpet made up of 70% recycled materials (including other carpet, plastic, and even tires), and a wall vinyl comprised of 100% post-consumer recyclable materials.
- Home2 Suites will utilize eco-friendly construction materials and will be GREENGUARD Indoor Air Quality Certified for low VOC emissions and enhanced indoor air quality.
- Home2 Suites will also utilize ENERGY STAR appliances in each of its hotels. ENERGY STAR qualified appliances incorporate advanced technologies that use 10-50% less energy and water than standard models.
- Other less-noticeable, yet highly impactful ways we’re committed to sustainability include the use of compact fluorescents instead of incandescent light bulbs; the option of paperless check-in/out; the option of fewer linen changes, depending on length of stay; and the use of real china and glassware as opposed to paper or plastic both in-room and during Continental breakfast in the Oasis.
- In 2008, Hilton Hotels Corporation announced brand-wide short- and long-term goals relating to the company’s approach to sustainability. Home2 has inherent sustainable features in construction materials, as well as in the Oasis and guest room layout, as outlined above. These features are in line with the goals outlined by Hilton to meet by the year 2014, which include:
- Reduce energy consumption from direct operations by 20%
- Reduce CO2 emissions by 20%
- Reduce output of waste by 20%
- Reduce water consumption by 10%
While sustainable elements provide web visitors with useful information on the brand’s commitment to lessen the environmental impact of extended-stay travelers, the e-tour helps guests to visualize the brand’s identity. The newly-featured, four-minute video brings the community and guest room spaces to life through expertly designed renderings and photography from a Home2 model suite.
The e-tour provides viewers with an overview of the contemporary design and inviting atmosphere. Some of the highlights Home2 Suites includes are the ability to travel and maintain a healthy lifestyle with spaces such as the combined laundry and fitness areas and the outdoor fitness track; the social aspects of the community spaces that encourage interaction in both the indoors through The Oasis and outdoors through the exterior “living room;” and the overall comfortable, yet productive guest rooms that feature the iconic working wall - a series of modular, brand-designed millwork pieces that serve as workspace, closet and storage. To access the e-tour, visit to view directly or visit to access the tour through the Home2 Suites Web site.
Home2 Suites forecasts 100 properties open by year-end 2012, with 60 to 70 per year thereafter. Immediate focus will be on U.S. development, with expansion into Canada, Mexico and abroad in subsequent years. Submitted franchise applications include sites in New York City, N.Y., Baltimore/White Marsh, Md., Charlotte, N.C., Jacksonville, N.C., Gadsden, Ala., Elko, Nev., and three hotels in San Antonio, Texas.
To learn more about Home2 Suites by Hilton, including site plans, room layouts and brand facts, visit . For information about franchising opportunities, visit .
Hilton Hotels Corporation is the leading global hospitality company, with more than 3,200 hotels and 545,000 rooms in 77 countries and territories, with more than 135,000 team members worldwide. The company owns, manages or franchises some of the best known and highly regarded hotel brands including Hilton®, Conrad® Hotels & Resorts, Denizen™ Hotels, Doubletree®, Embassy Suites Hotels®, Hampton Inn®, Hampton Inn & Suites®, Hilton Garden Inn®, Hilton Grand Vacations™, Homewood Suites by Hilton®, Home2 Suites by Hilton™ and The Waldorf=Astoria Collection™.
Hilton Brand Communications