Hospitality Industry ‘Finance, Revenue Management and IT Professionals of the Year’ named at Annual HOSPA Christmas Awards 2013
'Overall Student of the Year' awards also announced, together with winners of each examination category of the HOSPA Education and Training programmes in Financial Management and Revenue Management
IT Awards of the Year 2013' were announced yesterday (19 December) in London by HOSPA – the UK's leading educational organisation for professionals involved in Financial Management, Revenue Management and IT within the hospitality industry.
In the presence of over 230 guests at the 2013 HOSPA Annual Christmas AwardsLuncheon – held at The Landmark London hotel in the capital – the winners of the major HOSPA 'Hospitality Professionals Awards' and HOSPA 'Company Commitment to Professional Development Awards'; and the 'HOSPA Student Awards', were honoured.
The 2013 HOSPA Winners – all recipients of engraved crystal trophies andcertificates – were:
1. HOSPA Hospitality Professionals Award Winners 2013:
- Hospitality Finance Professional 2013, sponsored by BDO, was awarded to Carole Taylor, Group Financial Controller, Puma Hotels Collection
- Hospitality Revenue Management Professional 2013, sponsored by Infor EasyRMS, was presented to Justine Sanderson, Director of Revenue Management, Rocco Forte Balmoral Hotel in Edinburgh.
- Hospitality IT Professional 2013, sponsored by FourteenIP, was won by Andrew Jacques, IT Director, Apex Hotels.
2. HOSPA Company Commitment to Professional Development Award Winners2013:
- HOSPA Financial Management Employer of the Year 2013 was won by Jurys Inns
- HOSPA Revenue Management Employer of the Year 2013 was presentedto De Vere Venues
Nominations for the above top HOSPA award categories, put forward by Members of theAssociation to the HOSPA Communities selection committees, had tohave: an exemplary track record; be willing to train and lead their staff; be totally dedicated to the hospitality industry, with the intention of remaining in the profession; demonstrate strong attention to detail; keep abreast of current codes of practice; and command respect within the hospitality sector and wider business community.
3. HOSPA 'Overall Student of the Year' Award Winners 2013 for theAssociation's Education and Training Programmes (ETP) in Financial Management, and Revenue Management:
- 'HOSPA Outstanding Student of the Year in Financial Management 2013' – based on HOSPA Education and Training Programme (ETP) combined course work and examination results 2012/13 recorded in the Finance Education programmes – was won by Chinthaka Periyapperuma, Assistant Finance Manager, Jumeirah Madinat, Dubai, who achieved the highest result overall.He received a crystal trophy and a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 tablet computer. Chinthaka also won acash prize and certificate for best performance in the September 2012 HOSPA ETP examinations in Financial Management for Stage 1: Introduction to Financial Accounting
- 'HOSPA Outstanding Student of the Year in Revenue Management 2013' – based on HOSPA Education and Training Programme (ETP) combined course work and examination results 2012/13 recorded in the Revenue Management Education programmes – was presented to James Field, Regional Revenue Executive - London, Whitbread, who achieved the highest result overall. He received a crystal trophy and a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 tablet computer. James also won a cash prize and certificate for best performance in the March 2013 HOSPA ETP examinations in Revenue Management for Stage 1: Introduction to Revenue Management.
4. HOSPA 2013 Student Award Winners:
Cash prizes and certificates were then given to the top HOSPA ETP students,based on their results in each of the HOSPA examination categories for the Financial Management and Revenue Management training programmes, taken in both September 2012 and March 2013.
The September 2012 HOSPA Financial Management Education Programmeexamination prize winners were:
- Stage 1 – Introduction to Financial Accounting: Chinthaka Periyapperuma, Assistant Finance Manager, Jumeirah Madinat, Dubai
- Stage 2 – Operational Management Accounting: Jolanta Pieczulis, Finance Graduate: Manager, Jurys Inns
- Stage 3 – Strategic Management Accounting: Gemma Gowers, Finance Director, Yotel
The March 2013 HOSPA Financial Management Education Programmeexamination prize winners were:
- Stage 1 – Introduction to Financial Accounting: Roisin Carty, Assistant Director of Finance, InterContinental London Park Lane
- Stage 2 – Operational Management Accounting: Nina Fleischle, Assistant Director of Finance, Le Meridien Parkhotel, Frankfurt
- Stage 3 – Strategic Management Accounting: Jolanta Pieczulis, Finance Graduate: Manager, Jurys Inns
The September 2012 HOSPA Revenue Management Education Programmeexamination prize winners were:
- Stage 1: Introduction to Revenue Management: Jayne Nicolson, Group Revenue Manager, Portland Hotels
- Stage 2: Operational Revenue Management: Tania Mitchell, Regional Revenue Manager, Whitbread
- Stage 3: Strategic Revenue Management: Emma Smith, Performance Improvement Manager, Whitbread
The March 2013 HOSPA Revenue Management Education Programmeexamination prize winners were:
- Stage1: Introduction to Revenue Management: James Field, Regional Revenue Executive – London, Whitbread
- Stage 2: Operational Revenue Management: Suzanne Holmes, Senior Lecturer, Highbury College, Portsmouth
- Stage 3: Strategic Revenue Management: Min Mickevicius, Rooms Manager, The George in Rye, Sussex.
The HOSPA Education and Training Programme (ETP) in FinancialManagement is the entry route to Associate membership of HOSPA for new and inexperienced finance personnel in the industry. The programme provides learning and skills development for aspiring hospitality accounting professionals wishing to gain the skills and knowledge required to manage hospitality finance divisions, or gain an understanding of the accounting function of a hospitality unit. The 3-stage blended learning programme, studied over three 6-month periods, provides the flexibility for accounts personnel to fit their learning around their busy working day. Stage 1 is an Introduction to Financial Accounting; Stage 2 is Operational Management Accounting; and Stage 3 is Strategic Management Accounting.
In 2011,HOSPA – which has provided the industry specific, hospitality focusedprogramme in Financial Management for over 23 years – introduced a similar programme for Revenue Management; and 2013 is only the second year the Student Revenue Management ETP awards have been made. Currently, the Association is planning to launch a Hospitality IT ETP programme in 2014.
Dr. Julian Demetriadi FIH MTS
Phone: +44 (0)1722 238 627
Fax: +44 (0)1725 552 861
HOSPA (Hospitality Professionals Association for Finance, Revenue Management, Marketing and IT) is a non-profit educational organisation, formed to bring together those hospitality industry professionals involved in Financial Management, Revenue Management, Marketing and IT. Not only is HOSPA recognised as the UK"s authoritative voice in the hospitality industry on financial management, technical accounting issues, and hotel valuation, but also as the leading arena for debate on hotel technology developments, Revenue Management, and marketing. HOSPA"s Conference and Exhibition – HOSPACE (www.hospace.net) – features a leading set of industry speakers and topics relevant for today"s hospitality managers. It is also home to an industry specialist solutions exhibition, as well as a programme of workshops and technical updates – covering all aspects of hospitality business. HOSPA is on all major Social Media channels, including Twitter on @HOSPATweets. For more information, visit: www.hospa.org