Nationwide Sonder Survey Reveals Top Travel Destinations and Travel Preferences
Plans for personal travel, longer trips and increased interest in digital nomadism among U.S. respondents emerge, as travel and hospitality industries see renewed demand
Sonder, a leading next-generation hospitality company that is redefining the guest experience through technology and design, today released new survey findings, providing data and insights into the return of travel following one of the most severe downturns in the travel and hospitality industries in history. The report, conducted in partnership with Ipsos, indicates that a majority of U.S. adults have plans for personal travel in the coming months, with many prioritizing affordability, cleanliness, as well as urban discovery or beach vacations.
Survey highlights include:
- Americans are ready to travel for personal reasons and within the U.S. Roughly two-thirds of adults (62%) say they’ll travel for personal reasons before the end of the year. Over one-third (35%) of respondents planning business trips say they plan to tack on personal excursions to at least three-fourths of their business trips.
- Longer trips and becoming a “digital nomad” are enticing options for Americans looking to travel, especially among certain demographic groups. Six-in-ten (59%) Americans are interested in taking a trip for two weeks or more over the next year. Another six-in-ten Americans (59%) are interested in being a “digital nomad” – or working remotely on a long-term trip – with interest higher among younger adults aged 18-34 (74%), followed closely by family travelers (69%). For travelers booking long-term stays, many of Sonder’s spaces offer fully-equipped kitchens, living rooms, multiple bedrooms and en-suite laundry, delivering a comfortable place to spread out and work remotely for extended periods.
- After a year and a half of COVID-19, Americans say their ideal trip means exploring a new city or relaxing on the beach. Post-pandemic, American travelers are most excited about a change of scenery (52%). With locations in more than 35 cities, Sonder offers modern apartments in urban centers as well as beachside suites.
- While affordability was the top consideration, cleanliness is a key priority among Americans considering travel in 2021. Cleanliness ranks as #2 on the most important elements for accommodations. Location and safety are #3 and #4, respectively. In addition to professional housekeeping, Sonder thoroughly cleans and disinfects each Sonder before and after every stay.
- The majority of American travelers polled (65%) will take their next trip with their partner. Most are not willing to travel with those outside their bubble yet, with travelers less likely to travel by themselves (19%), with friends (15%), or with family outside of their own household (13%).
- New York City and New Orleans top the list of desired domestic destinations among Americans looking to travel in 2021. London and Rome are top of the list for international travel. Family travelers, or adults planning to travel with children, are particularly interested in visiting New York City (50%), followed by New Orleans and Washington, DC (both 34%).
“Our recent survey confirms what we long expected: Americans are eager to travel,” said Francis Davidson, Co-Founder and CEO of Sonder. “Sonder is thrilled to continue providing thoughtfully-designed accommodations at an exceptional value in top travel destinations around the world. We remain more committed than ever to high standards of convenience, comfort and cleanliness - which we know are important priorities based on our research - and believe our tech-enabled, contactless experience provides the reassurance travelers are looking for as they return to travel.”
Rome (and London) Calling: European Cities Top List for International Travel
According to the survey, European cities are top of mind for American travelers for international destinations. Among all respondents who plan to travel internationally this year, Rome ranks highest (28%), followed by London (27%), Dubai (19%), and Barcelona (19%). Family travelers - adults who plan to travel with their children - and digital nomads follow similar trends as international travelers: Family travelers are most excited to visit Rome (35%) and London (34%), and digital nomads are also more likely to say they are excited about visiting London (34%) and Rome (31%).
Among Sonder’s variety of accommodations in each of these top locations are: a private, curated apartment located steps away from the historic Trevi Fountain in Rome; contemporary rooms in the heart of London's posh Chelsea neighborhood; a Dubai suite with ocean views; and an airy room in Barcelona’s charming Gràcia neighborhood.
Sonder offers a variety of flexible accommodation options — from rooms to suites to apartments, available for one-night or multi-day stays — in 35+ markets and nine countries, including locations indicated as top travel destinations by survey respondents, like New York City, New Orleans, London, Rome and more. Through Sonder’s tech-enabled experience, travelers can request early check-in or late check-out directly from their phones, and check-in to their unit through the Sonder app — bypassing crowded lobbies completely. Connecting to WiFi is easy with the tap of a button. With teams on the ground in every city, Sonder guests can receive instant guest support through the company’s 24/7 Concierge service via the app.
This announcement follows the recent news of Sonder’s plans to be publicly listed through a business combination with Gores Metropoulos II (Nasdaq: GMII, GMIIU and GMIIW).
This nationwide survey was conducted by Ipsos on behalf of Sonder between July 6-8, 2021 among 2,009 American adults. Results have a credibility interval of plus or minus 2.5 percentage points. Each week Ipsos U.S. eNation online omnibus completes five national online surveys. Each survey (wave of eNation) consists of a minimum of 1,000 completes with adults 18 years of age or older in the contiguous U.S.A. The sample consists of individuals selected from the online segment of Ipsos’ iSay Panel, partner online panel sources, and “river” sampling and is balanced to be representative of the general population based upon region, gender, age, race/ethnicity, and education from the U.S. Census Bureau.
Sonder is revolutionizing hospitality through innovative, tech-powered service and inspiring, thoughtfully designed accommodations combined into one seamlessly managed experience. Officially launched in 2014 and headquartered in San Francisco, Sonder is making a world of better stays open to all with a variety of accommodation options — from rooms to suites and apartments — found in 35+ markets spanning nine countries and three continents. Sonder"s innovative app empowers guests by making self-service features and 24/7 on-the-ground support just a tap away. From simple self check-in to boutique bathroom amenities, we bring the best of a hotel without any of the formality.