Choice Hotels International Reports 2021 First Quarter Results
First quarter change in domestic RevPAR outperformed the overall industry by 23 percentage points compared to both 2019 and 2020; dividend and share repurchase program reinstated
ROCKVILLE, Md. - Choice Hotels International, Inc. (NYSE: CHH), one of the world's largest lodging franchisors, today reported its results for the three months ended March 31, 2021.
Highlights of first quarter and year-to-date 2021 results include:1
- Domestic systemwide revenue per available room (RevPAR) change outperformed the total industry by 23 percentage points, declining 18.7% and 4.4% for first quarter 2021 compared to the same periods of 2019 and 2020, respectively.
- The company's performance has continued the trend of sequential domestic systemwide RevPAR change improvement, with April 2021 RevPAR declining approximately 4.2% versus April 2019 and increasing 140% from April 2020.
- The company's Board of Directors reinstated the dividend at the pre-pandemic rate and declared a cash dividend on the company's common stock of $0.225 per share. The dividend is payable on July 16, 2021 to stockholders of record on July 1, 2021. The Board has also approved the resumption of the company's share repurchase program.
- The company awarded 89 domestic franchise agreements in first quarter 2021, a 53% increase compared to the same period of the prior year. Over 80% of the agreements awarded in the first quarter were for conversion hotels.
- Net income was $22.3 million for first quarter 2021, representing diluted earnings per share (EPS) of $0.40.
- First quarter adjusted net income, excluding certain items described in Exhibit 7, decreased 26% to $31.6 million from first quarter 2020.
- Adjusted diluted EPS were $0.57, a decrease of 25% from first quarter 2020.
- Adjusted earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization (EBITDA) for the first quarter were $63.1 million, an 11% decrease from first quarter 2020. First quarter adjusted EBITDA margin increased 330 basis points to 69% from first quarter 2020.
Click here to view the full release.
About Choice Hotels®
Choice Hotels International, Inc. (NYSE: CHH) is one of the largest lodging franchisors in the world. With more than 7,100 hotels, representing over 600,000 rooms, in nearly 40 countries and territories as of June 30, 2021, the Choice® family of hotel brands provides business and leisure travelers with a range of high-quality lodging options from limited service to full-service hotels in the upscale, midscale, extended-stay and economy segments. The award-winning Choice Privileges® loyalty program offers members benefits ranging from everyday rewards to exceptional experiences. For more information, visit www.choicehotels.com.
© 2021 Choice Hotels International, Inc. All rights reserved.