Accor celebrates 30 years in the Pacific
Accor, the largest hotel operator in the Pacific, is celebrating its 30th anniversary in the region with 30 new hotel openings expected over the next few years.
Accor has expanded its portfolio of hotels, resorts and apartments to include Australia, New Zealand, Fiji and French Polynesia, growing from one Novotel in 1991 to 18 global brands.
Looking to the future, by 2023, Accor will have launched a variety of new premium and luxury brands with the debut of the Mondrian, 25hours, SO/ and Fairmont brands in Australia.
Accor Pacific CEO, Simon McGrath, said: “As we celebrate 30 years in the Pacific, I would like to thank our incredible teams for their heartfelt service, our loyal guests for their custom and the support of our partners. Now, as we look forward to the tremendous opportunities ahead of us, we have a very strong and exciting future. We will continue to support our talents, our local communities, our guests and our partners to forge many more successful and meaningful decades.”
From the launch of the Mövenpick brand in Australia in January, to opening two brand new The Sebel properties in Melbourne and Wellington, and three new BreakFree resorts in key regional markets, 2021 has already been a strong year of growth and investment for Accor in the Pacific region.
Looking forward, Accor will open the following incredible new hotel additions before the close of 2021 and in the first quarter of 2022, including:
- SA | Sofitel Adelaide (opening November 2021): World renowned for luxury French-style hospitality, Accor’s newest Sofitel hotel, Sofitel Adelaide, will deliver an intoxicating mix of old world charm and modern design, all with a decidedly whimsical twist. The much-anticipated opening of Sofitel Adelaide will mark the luxury brand’s debut in South Australia. It is also the first internationally recognised five-star hotel built in Adelaide in 30 years. The hotel features 251 luxurious guestrooms and suites, a Sofitel Club Lounge, a French-inspired restaurant, two bars, a swimming pool, Sofitel Fitness Gym, plus meeting and private dining spaces.
- VIC | Mövenpick Hotel Melbourne on Spencer (officially opening November 2021): Melbourne is now home to Australia’s second Mövenpick Hotel and its daily Chocolate Hour. Situated at the meeting point of Melbourne’s iconic Spencer and Bourke Streets in the CBD, the 172-room hotel promises to indulge and delight guests with its contemporary design and boutique interiors, two unique culinary offerings - a Mövenpick Cafe and Miss Mi restaurant and bar, a daily Chocolate Hour and an assortment of other Mövenpick brand signature offerings, 25m swimming pool, hot tub, sauna, gymnasium, and an executive boardroom. Mövenpick Hotel Melbourne on Spencer forms the six-level podium of the striking 78-storey Premier Tower development.
- VIC | Mercure Melbourne Doncaster (opening Q1 2022 ): The opening of Mercure Melbourne Doncaster introduces a new generation of upper midscale hotel to the region. Situated less than 20 minutes from Melbourne’s CBD and adjacent to one of Australia’s premium shopping and lifestyle centres, the hotel will feature 183 contemporary guest rooms along with an elite fitness centre, expansive outdoor terraces, indoor/outdoor swimming pool, and authentic flavours of Mexico at Chido Chido Bar & Cantina. The property will also launch One2One Events located on level three of the hotel with signature views over the city skyline and Yarra Ranges. Mercure Melbourne Doncaster will lead the market with digital initiatives, such as contactless options for room keys, parking, minibar and room service, along with environmental initiatives such as the elimination of single use plastic bottles and guest amenities.
- NSW | The Porter House Hotel Sydney – MGallery (opening Q1 2022): Located on Castlereagh Street, this mixed-use development will have a 36-storey tower with a 121-room hotel housed over levels 1-9 with 131 residential apartments above on levels 10-34. The hotel and residential apartments will thoughtfully weave in the existing 1870s heritage-listed Porter House, which is adjacent to the tower. Onsite facilities include, lobby, pool and fitness centre, two restaurants, a fourth floor bar with roving art gallery, meeting and private dining facilities and a business centre.
- NSW | A new hotel at 412 Pitt Street, Haymarket – name TBC (opening Q1 2022): Sydney CBD’s historic 1929-built West End Hotel at 412 Pitt Street, for more than 30 years Australia’s tallest hotel, will reopen as a new hotel following an extensive refurbishment program. The 82-room hotel will feature a ground floor restaurant & bar on Pitt Street, and a spectacular rooftop bar.
- NZ | The Sebel Wellington Lower Hutt ( opening Q1 2022 ): The new-build The Sebel Wellington Lower Hutt overlooks the Hutt River and is only a short drive from Wellington International Airport. Built in partnership with Hutt City Council’s project for the New Civic Centre, which includes a new 800-seater Events Centre adjoining the City’s historic Town Hall, this apartment-style hotel boasts 60 fully serviced studios and one bedroom apartments and will provide a modern and convenient place for business and leisure visitors to stay while attending conferences, exhibitions or events. Complete with a restaurant and bar, Biscotti, this new hotel embraces The Sebel brand standards, with warm, stylish and homely furnishings to make guests feel welcome as soon as they arrive.
Accor have joined forces with Qantas to bring even greater rewards for loyalty customers of both programs. Launching in the coming months, eligible customers who are members of Qantas Frequent Flyer and ALL – Accor Live Limitless (ALL) will have the opportunity to earn Qantas Points as well as Accor Live Limitless Reward points on eligible Accor hotel bookings and Qantas operated flights. It’s the first venture of its kind between a hospitality group and an airline in the Asia Pacific region.
Accor have supported the wellbeing of its team across the past 18 months by providing vital aid through its ALL Heartist Fund. The fund launched in April 2020 and has supported Accor team members and partners through the health and economic impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic by providing more than AUD$4.7 million (to date) in grants across the Pacific region.
For two decades, the Accor Indigenous Programs have been a talent initiative playing a key role in empowering Indigenous success within Australia’s hospitality industry. Accor has made it a purpose to bring Indigenous Australians into customer facing roles to connect with people, history and culture as part of the Accor employment and guest experience. The Accor Indigenous Programs initiative strives to play an active role in Australia’s shared, ongoing commitment to Closing the Gap. This is a shared journey to enable and empower Indigenous Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to live healthy and prosperous lives. Throughout the past 12 months, Accor has maintained its commitment to empowering Indigenous success by sharpening its focus on recruitment, retention and cultural education to maintain strength in its program and Indigenous workforce and Accor will continue this commitment in the coming years ahead.
Accor brands across the Pacific region include SO/, Sofitel, MGallery, Art Series, Pullman, Swissôtel, Mövenpick, Grand Mercure, Peppers, The Sebel, Mantra, Novotel, Mercure, Tribe, BreakFree, ibis, ibis Styles and ibis budget.
Accor is a world leading hospitality group consisting of more than 5,200 properties and 10,000 food and beverage venues throughout 110 countries. The group has one of the industry"s most diverse and fully-integrated hospitality ecosystems encompassing more than 40 luxury, premium, midscale and economy hotel brands, entertainment and nightlife venues, restaurants and bars, branded private residences, shared accommodation properties, concierge services, co-working spaces and more. Accor"s unmatched position in lifestyle hospitality – one of the fastest growing categories in the industry – is led by Ennismore, a creative hospitality company with a global portfolio of entrepreneurial and founder-built brands with purpose at their heart. Accor boasts an unrivalled portfolio of distinctive brands and approximately 260,000 team members worldwide. 68 million members benefit from the company"s comprehensive loyalty program – ALL - Accor Live Limitless – a daily lifestyle companion that provides access to a wide variety of rewards, services and experiences. Through its Planet 21 – Acting Here, Accor Solidarity, RiiSE and ALL Heartist Fund initiatives, the Group is focused on driving positive action through business ethics, responsible tourism, environmental sustainability, community engagement, diversity and inclusivity. Founded in 1967, Accor SA is headquartered in France and publicly listed on the Euronext Paris Stock Exchange (ISIN code: FR0000120404) and on the OTC Market (Ticker: ACCYY) in the United States. For more information visit group.accor.com, or follow Accor on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram.