CHICAGO – Hyatt Hotels Corporation (NYSE: H) awarded 32 owners, operators and developers at its 2021 America Owners Conference, held at Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa in Huntington Beach, Calif. During the conference, a number of Hyatt’s leadership team members presented the awards to a combination of full service and select service owners, operators and developers, celebrating operational excellence and hotel performance throughout 2020 and 2021.
“At Hyatt, we remain focused on our growth and we are both intentional and thoughtful about where we want the Hyatt flag raised. Our brand growth and success are a testament to our fellow owners, operators and developers, and we are immensely proud of the many longstanding relationships that we have throughout our industry, as well as new ones that we continuously cultivate,” said Jim Chu, Executive Vice President, Global Franchising and Development, Hyatt. “Leading with our purpose of care, we remain empathetic to the challenges that our owners and operators have experienced in recent months and we are truly appreciative of their commitment to maintaining and growing Hyatt’s brand portfolio. We are privileged to work with industry-leading owners, operators and developers and congratulate all of our award recipients.”
The Developer of the Year award recognizes full service and select service developers for their construction quality, attention to detail and excellence in operating:
- Southwest Value Partners (Grand Hyatt Nashville): In 2015, Southwest Value Partners purchased LifeWay’s 15-acre campus off of Broadway in downtown Nashville, with a vision to create something special. The beautiful 591-room Grand Hyatt Nashville has become a cornerstone of this transformational mixed-use project in the heart of one of the most sought-out cities in America. In addition to developing Grand Hyatt Nashville, Southwest Value Partners is also the owner of Hyatt Regency Valencia and Hyatt Regency Westlake in Calif.
- Regent Partners (Thompson Buckhead and Thompson Savannah): With tremendous foresight, persistence and flexibility, Regent Partners is expected to welcome two Thompson hotels to Georgia by the end of 2021. As the first Thompson hotel to open in Georgia, Thompson Savannah opened in August 2021 and features 193 guestrooms, including 21 suites, and is set along the banks of the Savannah River. Joining Thompson Savannah, Thompson Buckhead is under construction and is scheduled to open in December 2021.
- The Kothari Group: The Kothari Group has been part of the Hyatt family since 2017 and has grown its Hyatt portfolio from one to three properties in just three years, most recently with the July 2020, opening of Canada’s first Hyatt House hotel, the 133-room Hyatt House Winnipeg-South/Outlet Collection.
- AD1 Global & ADËLON Capital: AD1 Global and ADËLON Capital have been part of the Hyatt family since 2017. In May 2020, they opened the 106-room Hyatt Place Melbourne/Palm Bay, and in October 2021, they celebrated the groundbreaking of the 141-room Hyatt Place Melbourne Airport.
The Strategic Partner award celebrates a company’s culture, performance and operating philosophies, along with their strong, multi-brand relationship with Hyatt:
- McWhinney Real Estate Services: McWhinney Real Estate Services has been part of the Hyatt family for four years and its current Hyatt portfolio consists of four hotels – Hyatt House Denver Airport, Hyatt Place Peña Station, Hyatt House Irvine/John Wayne Airport, and Hyatt Place Boston/Seaport District. In 2022, McWhinney is expected to open the 246-room Hyatt Centric Austin Downtown, which will be located in the heart of Austin’s music and art scene.
- Prism: Since opening Hyatt Regency Los Angeles International Airport in 2016, Prism has grown its Hyatt brand portfolio to 12 full service and select service properties across the Hyatt Centric, Hyatt Regency, Hyatt Place, and Hyatt House brands. Prism is a valued owner that is known to listen, collaborate, and offer thoughtful perspective on how we can work together to make these hotels the best they can be for their owners and their guests.
- GFI Hospitality: There is truly an art to the creation of a lifestyle hotel. The alchemy of blending design and programming in such a way that the result becomes a favorite destination of visitors and locals alike is often described, but not so often flawlessly executed. GFI has figured out that formula, and their attention to detail resulted in The Beekman, one of the stars of the Thompson hotel brand. GFI also brought that same vision in the transformation of Thompson Central Park New York, which is expected to open in November 2021. In addition, GFI is also helping Hyatt grow Hyatt’s Select Service portfolio in priority destinations, including Hyatt House Orlando Convention Center.
- Grupo Rodina: Grupo Rodina, a private investment firm and family office represented by Andres and Felipe Chico, has significantly grown its portfolio of Hyatt hotel investments over the past three years to include Hyatt Regency Mexico City, Grand Hyatt Denver, Andaz Mayakoba, Hyatt Ziva Riviera Cancun, Hyatt Zilara Riviera Maya, Hyatt Centric Center City Philadelphia, and the Park Hyatt Mexico City and Park Hyatt Los Cabos, both under construction. Grupo Rodina embodies a culture of collaboration in how it develops, owns and operates its hotels with Hyatt.
The Best New Property award recognizes notable full service and select service hotel openings:
- Hyatt Zilara Cap Cana and Hyatt Ziva Cap Cana (Playa Hotels & Resorts): In 2013, Hyatt entered into an agreement with Playa Hotels & Resorts for the development of the Hyatt Zilara and Hyatt Ziva all-inclusive brands in Latin America and the Caribbean. Hyatt Zilara Cap Cana and Hyatt Ziva Cap Cana together comprise a 3,000-acre luxury master-planned community within Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic, offering more than 1,300 feet of beachfront on Juanillo Beach. Built by Playa Hotels & Resorts from the ground up, the combined 750-room Hyatt Zilara Cap Cana and Hyatt Ziva Cap Cana have a multitude of dining venues and leisure activities for families and adults, receiving numerous accolades as one of the best new all-inclusive resorts in the region.
- The Seabird, a Destination by Hyatt hotel, and Mission Pacific, a JdV by Hyatt hotel (SD Malkin): The Seabird and Mission Pacific are both beautifully programmed and designed – unique in their interpretation of the spirit and vibe of Southern California. They have been transformational in the impact that they have had on the local Oceanside community and there is no doubt that these two properties will be treasured by visitors and locals for many years to come.
- Alila Marea Beach Resort Encinitas (JMI Realty): Alila Marea Beach Resort is the third Alila hotel to open in the Americas. Situated along coastal bluffs with panoramic views overlooking Grandview and South Ponto Beaches, this luxury oceanfront resort in Encinitas, Calif. is distinguished by an innovative eco-design, a passionate commitment to sustainability and specially curated activities designed to immerse guests in nature, culture, and community, making it an outstanding representation of the Alila brand in North America.
- Thompson San Antonio (DC Partners): Located steps from the celebrated River Walk in San Antonio’s dynamic and evolving Arts District, the new Thompson San Antonio and The Arts Residences is a stunning addition to the River City. In February 2021, Houston-based DC Partners completed development of this landmark mixed-use project, which is a sophisticated modern-day interpretation of the rich history of this beloved Texas city. The hotel’s diverse and dynamic collection of culinary and bar venues span indoor and outdoor spaces and are sure to become a hub of activity for its guests and Arts District neighbors.
- Hyatt Centric Beale Street Memphis (Carlisle Corporation, LLC.): “One Beale,” a transformative five-acre multi-phased development, is the site of the beautiful Hyatt Centric Beale Street Memphis. As the first Hyatt Centric hotel in Memphis, the 227-room hotel offers a central location and Beale Street address, steps from the culture, food and nightlife that makes Downtown Memphis an iconic destination. Carlisle Corporation, LLC is also developing Caption by Hyatt Memphis, which is currently under construction within the One Beale development.
- Hyatt Place National Harbor (OTO Development): Hyatt Place National Harbor features the Hyatt Place brand’s intuitive design, casual atmosphere, and practical amenities, such as free Wi-Fi and 24-hour food offerings and is an idyllic destination offering guests convenient access to the nation’s capital.
- Hyatt Place Atlanta/Perimeter Center (Concord Hospitality Enterprises): Hyatt Place Atlanta Perimeter Center is ideally located in Atlanta’s Perimeter Business District of Dunwoody. With smartly designed social spaces and guestrooms with separate work and sleep areas, multitasking guests can easily accomplish what they need to do while visiting the Atlanta/Dunwoody area.
- Hyatt Place Ottawa – West (Stolat Hotels): Hyatt Place Ottawa-West is a modern hotel in Ottawa’s West End that incorporates sustainable practices, including the use of earth-friendly products and energy from solar panels.
- Hyatt Place Tampa Downtown and Hyatt House Tampa Downtown (HRI Properties): As vibrant as Tampa itself, Hyatt Place Tampa Downtown and Hyatt House Tampa Downtown put guests in Tampa’s city center and nod to the city’s rich Latin history with chic design elements, featuring walls painted with a sunny color palette and eye-catching details like luxe fabrics, vintage accents, and local artwork.
- Hyatt Place Fort Worth/TCU (Campus Hotel Venture): Hyatt Place Fort Worth/TCU offers a wonderful new option for business and leisure travelers visiting the heart of Fort Worth’s University and Cultural district.
- Hyatt House Nashville/Downtown-Sobro (Developed by Mountainshore Properties; Acquired by Noble Investments): Hyatt House Nashville/Downtown-SoBro offers an extended stay hotel with spacious suites with kitchens and an indoor pool. Located in downtown Nashville, the hotel is steps away from premier shopping, dining, and entertainment.
- Hyatt House Denver/Aurora (BMC Investments): Hyatt House Denver/Aurora is conveniently located near medical facilities, sports parks and the historic Buckley Air Force Base.
The Best Renovation award recognizes the reconfiguration and transformation of full service and select service Hyatt-branded hotels:
- Park Hyatt Aviara (Xenia Hotels & Resorts): Park Hyatt Aviara, located in Carlsbad, Calif. is a coastal treasure, and its $52 million dollar metamorphosis includes a brilliantly reconfigured lobby that brings the ocean view indoors. This all-encompassing renovation also features transformed pool areas, luxuriously appointed guestrooms and suites, and indoor golf via the Topgolf Swing Suite for an immersive golf experience.
- Park Hyatt Toronto (OPG Hotels Limited Partnership): The four-year transformation of Park Hyatt Toronto has been one of the most highly anticipated projects as it repositions this luxury hotel as best in class amongst its competitive set. The recently re-opened hotel has long been considered one of Toronto's most iconic addresses and is once again offering guests a home away from home featuring the Park Hyatt brand’s sophistication rooted in Canadian heritage.
- Hyatt Place Los Angeles/Lax/El Segundo (Washington Holdings): Following a comprehensive renovation, which included an upgrade from carpet to LVT in all guestrooms, Hyatt Place Los Angeles/Lax/El Segundo now offers 143 guestrooms with more than 1,000 square feet of meeting space.
- Hyatt Place Long Island/East End (Atlantis Holdings): A testament to the quality and execution by Atlantis Holdings team and American Resort Management, the renovation included a thoughtful case goods renovation, updated meeting rooms, and a custom lobby design that includes touches of local elements that dramatically improves the arrival experience for guests.
- Hyatt Place Dallas/Arlington (Arbor Lodging Management): Following both a case goods and soft goods renovation, Arbor Lodging Management and the hotel team completed this transformation by opening up the breakfast area, refreshing the lobby and meeting space and completing the guestroom rearrangement and space maximization to thoughtfully revitalize hotel.
- Hyatt Place Birmingham/Hoover (Baron Hospitality): Undergoing a transformative exterior renovation, the Baron Hospitality team, operated by A&M Hotels, completely updated the hotel’s façade in 2021. The changes include flattening the peaks, re-staining and repainting the brick and updating the porte-cochère, which has led to a refreshed guest arrival experience.
The Best Conversion award celebrates the reconfiguration of an existing property and conversion to a full service or select service Hyatt-branded hotel:
- El Capitan Hotel, a JDV by Hyatt hotel (NuovRE): The original El Capitan Hotel opened in 1924 on Main Street to serve train passengers traveling to Yosemite. Today, the newly transformed 114-room hotel offers three locally inspired eating and drinking venues, as well as the restored historic Mainzer Theater. Nuovo Development has lovingly expanded the El Capitan to create this neighborhood gem in Merced’s rediscovered and revitalized downtown.
- Hyatt Place Fairbanks (A&A Construction & Development): Located in Fairbanks, Alaska, the 112-room Hyatt Place hotel was converted following a full renovation, which encompassed a modernization of the lobby and public spaces, a redo of the exterior façade and complete redo of the guestrooms, including LVT flooring.
The Best Adaptive Re-Use award honors outstanding full service and select service Hyatt-branded hotels developed from creative starting points:
- Hotel Kansas City, part of The Unbound Collection by Hyatt (A&A Construction & Development): Mariner Holdings restored and repositioned this remarkable building, located in the iconic Kansas City Club building, this space will serve as Kansas City’s newest lifestyle boutique hotel. Hotel Kansas City’s thoughtful design fosters moments of great nostalgia, paying homage to the building’s extraordinary history as a prominent 1920s social club. The hotel’s 144 Victorian-inspired guestrooms and suites offer vintage touches and modern comforts that chronicle a rich history, while infusing a nuanced, progressive spirit for the future.
- Thompson Dallas (Todd Interests): When it opened its doors in 1964, the 52-story First National Bank Tower in downtown Dallas was recognized as the tallest building west of the Mississippi River. Todd Interests, in collaboration with Moriah Capital, has redeveloped this Dallas landmark into a new, modern mixed-use building they have re-named “The National” in reference to its storied past. The National is anchored by the stunning Thompson Dallas, the first Thompson hotel to open in Texas. With its one of kind art and furnishings, world-class culinary offerings, sophisticated event spaces, and unique indoor/outdoor leisure amenities, Thompson Dallas captures the spirit and refined edge of this global destination and prominent center of commerce.
- Hyatt Place Tulsa/Downtown (400 South Boston, LLC): The 103-room hotel is conveniently located in the historical Boston Building, which was completed in 1967 and previously served as headquarters to the Home Federal Savings and Loan Association. The 14-story hotel features the Hyatt Place brand’s intuitive design and will offer business and leisure travelers an open, beautiful concept located in the heart of downtown Tulsa.
- Hyatt Place Chicago Medical/University District and Hyatt House Chicago Medical/University District (MB Real Estate): Chicago's former Cook County Hospital is now an eye-catching location comprised of a 210-room dual-branded Hyatt Place and Hyatt House hotel development, medical office space, daycare and retail shops. The project restores and preserves the historical pieces that have been rooted there for more than 160 years, which includes the original Beaux-Arts masonry detailing and terracotta of the exterior, the wood-framed windows, interior decorative plaster work, the double height main lobby and 106-year-old restored marble stone staircase, elevator cores, as well as double loaded corridor and interior terrazzo flooring. Located in the epicenter of one of the most robust medical districts in the world, Hyatt Place Chicago Medical/University District and Hyatt House Chicago Medical/University District are located in the heart of the Illinois Medical District.
For more information, please visit hyatt.com/development.
The term “Hyatt” is used in this release for convenience to refer to Hyatt Hotels Corporation and/or one or more of its affiliates.
About Hyatt Hotels Corporation
Hyatt Hotels Corporation, headquartered in Chicago, is a leading global hospitality company guided by its purpose – to care for people so they can be their best. As of September 30, 2023, the Company's portfolio included more than 1,300 hotels and all-inclusive properties in 76 countries across six continents. The Company's offering includes brands in the Timeless Collection, including Park Hyatt®, Grand Hyatt®, Hyatt Regency®, Hyatt®, Hyatt Vacation Club®, Hyatt Place®, Hyatt House®, Hyatt Studios, and UrCove; the Boundless Collection, including Miraval®, Alila®, Andaz®, Thompson Hotels®, Dream® Hotels, Hyatt Centric®, and Caption by Hyatt®; the Independent Collection, including The Unbound Collection by Hyatt®, Destination by Hyatt®, and JdV by Hyatt®; and the Inclusive Collection, including Impression by Secrets, Hyatt Ziva®, Hyatt Zilara®, Zoëtry® Wellness & Spa Resorts, Secrets® Resorts & Spas, Breathless Resorts & Spas®, Dreams® Resorts & Spas, Hyatt Vivid Hotels & Resorts, Alua Hotels & Resorts®, and Sunscape® Resorts & Spas. Subsidiaries of the Company operate the World of Hyatt® loyalty program, ALG Vacations®, Mr & Mrs Smith™, Unlimited Vacation Club®, Amstar DMC destination management services, and Trisept Solutions® technology services. For more information, please visit www.hyatt.com.
Forward-Looking Statements in this press release, which are not historical facts, are forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. In some cases, you can identify forward-looking statements by the use of words such as "may," "could," "expect," "intend," "plan," "seek," "anticipate," "believe," "estimate," "predict," "potential," "continue," "likely," "will," "would" and variations of these terms and similar expressions, or the negative of these terms or similar expressions. Such forward-looking statements are necessarily based upon estimates and assumptions that, while considered reasonable when made, are inherently uncertain, and are subject to numerous assumptions and uncertainties, many of which are outside of Kiraku, Inc. or Hyatt's control, which could cause actual results, performance or achievements to differ materially from those expressed in or implied by such statements. Forward-looking statements made in this press release are made only as of the date of their initial publication and neither party undertakes an obligation to publicly update any of these forward-looking statements as actual events unfold, except to the extent required by applicable law. If one or more forward-looking statements is updated, no inference should be drawn that any additional updates will be made with respect to those or other forward-looking statements.