Top Trending Thanksgiving Destinations with Availability and Affordability
According to the world’s largest vacation rental marketplace, HomeToGo, Thanksgiving is expected to be the busiest U.S. travel holiday this fall/winter. More than one-third (34%) of respondents in HomeToGo’s recent survey of U.S. travelers said they were planning overnight trips for Thanksgiving.
“Instead of having a family feast in their homes, many are opting to celebrate in the comforts of a getaway in a vacation rental,” explained Caroline Burns, travel expert and Director of PR at HomeToGo. Sunny destinations like Maui, Hawaii and Palm Desert, California, along with historic destinations like Williamsburg, Virginia and Wellfleet, Massachusetts are among the most booked-out destinations for Thanksgiving, with the percentage of available vacation rentals on HomeToGo.com being under 20% in these cities.
For travelers still looking to get away to celebrate America’s biggest food holiday and avoid paying higher pricing in peak destinations, HomeToGo has identified 6 trending destinations with remaining availability – all under $250 per night. This is more than 40% lower than the average nightly price for vacation rentals found on HomeToGo across the U.S. for Thanksgiving ($395), allowing travelers to save for their impressive holiday spreads.
Top 6 Trending Destinations with Availability for Thanksgiving
1. Killington, Vermont – Nestled within the Green Mountains of central Vermont, visitors to Killington can enjoy idyllic hiking spots with breathtaking foliage like the Thundering Falls trail, which is home to a historic mill and cascading waterfall.
- Vacation Rental Availability: 51%
- Median Price Per Night: $239
- Search Demand vs. 2021: +191%
2. Carolina Beach, North Carolina – Along the coast of North Carolina and the Cape Fear River hides the small and quiet beach town of Carolina Beach, often recognized for its seaside boardwalk and world-class fishing.
- Vacation Rental Availability: 41%
- Median Price Per Night: $198
- Search Demand vs. 2021: +188%
3. Tallahassee, Florida – The capital city of Florida and home to Florida State University, Tallahassee will host one of the biggest college football rivalries of the season when they take on the University of Florida the day after Thanksgiving at Doak S. Campbell Stadium.
- Vacation Rental Availability: 50%
- Median Price Per Night: $120
- Search Demand vs. 2021: +162%
4. Quintana Roo, Isla Mujeres– Just off the coast of Mexico, this blissful island is the perfect vacation destination with famous beaches and snorkeling in nearby coral reefs for travelers who want to experience the ultimate tropical getaway.
- Vacation Rental Availability: 36%
- Median Price Per Night: $205
- Search Demand vs. 2021: +138%
5. Greenville, South Carolina – A quiet and small southern town along western South Carolina, Greensville is known for its cultural and artistic atmosphere with a thriving downtown area boasting museums, galleries and performing arts venues.
- Vacation Rental Availability: 35%
- Median Price Per Night: $138
- Search Demand vs. 2021: +136%
6. Corpus Christi, Texas– Located on the coast of southern Texas along the Gulf of Mexico, Corpus Christi is a vibrant coastal city with a deep history and miles of beaches, leading to its nickname as the “Sparkling City by the Sea.”
- Vacation Rental Availability: 46%
- Median Price Per Night: $168
- Search Demand vs. 2021: +105%
- Survey Insights: Research conducted by HomeToGo among a sample of 500 U.S. respondents. To participate in this survey, respondents had to be 18 or older. The survey was carried out online between 3 August 2022 - 5 August 2022.
- Thanksgiving Data: Findings for the annual year-over-year increase in searches and average daily rates for Thanksgiving stays are based on internal HomeToGo data with the following parameters:
- Search Period 1: 6 July 2022 - 6 October 2022 with a check-in date between 20 November 2022 - 27 November 2022
- Search Period 2: 6 July 2021 - 6 October 2021 with a check-in date between 21 November 2021 - 28 November 2021
- Data was collected on 7 October 2022.
- Availability: Availability shows the percentage of vacation rental offers available for booking on hometogo.com for stays with a check-in between November 20 - November 27, 2022. The data was pulled on October 17, 2022, and may be subject to change due to new bookings, cancellations, or other reasons.
HomeToGo is the marketplace with the world's largest selection of vacation rentals, listing millions of offers from thousands of trusted partners, including Booking.com, Vrbo and TripAdvisor. From vacation homes, cabins, beach houses, apartments, condos, house boats, castles, farm stays and everything in between, HomeToGo combines price, destination, dates and amenities to find the perfect accommodation for any trip worldwide.
Founded in 2014, HomeToGo operates local apps & websites in 25 countries across Europe, North America, South America, Australia and Asia-Pacific. HomeToGo also operates brands such as Agriturismo.it, AMIVAC, Casamundo, CaseVacanza.it, e-domizil, EscapadaRural, Tripping.com and Wimdu. To learn more, visit www.hometogo.com or download the HomeToGo app.