The 24hr Sustainable Hospitality Hackathon Vol. III: Highlight Report
By Willy Legrand, Professor of Hospitality Management at the IU International University of Applied Sciences, Germany
What actions must be undertaken by hotels and related businesses involved in the tourism value chain to restore ecosystems and contribute to the Sustainable Development Goals? 84 university students across four universities, two dozen experts and lecturers collaborate for 24 hours – The Highlights.
Under the tag line “Connect. Inspire. Collaborate.” the third edition of the 24hr Sustainable Hospitality Hackathon took place ahead of the World Environment Day on June 2-3, 2021.
84 hospitality, tourism and natural science students from four universities (IU International University of Applied Sciences (DE), Hotel Management School Maastricht (NL), Ecole Hôtelière de Lausanne (CH) and the Julius Maximilians University of Würzburg (DE)) along with a dozen faculty members and industry experts were called upon to connect and collaborate on developing hands-on solutions for ecosystem restoration in the tourism value chain. The goal was to create actionable plans and activities considering the overall opportunity (and responsibility) towards more sustainability in the industry (and not less) in a post COVID-19 world.
Under the subtitle ‘Regeneration Now’, students tackled 23 ecosystem restoration and SDG challenges.
Download full report hackathon details with experts’ quotes, and outcome here.
A special thank you to the experts:
- Marina Laurent, Founder, REGEN – Regenerative Hospitality Solutions
- Frans Melissen, Professor of Sustainable Experience Design, Breda University of Applied Sciences, Professor of Management Education for Sustainability, Antwerp Management School
- Delphine Malleret King, Chief Executive Officer, The Long Run
- Kyriaki Glyptou, Senior Lecturer, School of Events, Tourism and Hospitality Management, Leeds Beckett University, United Kingdom
- Frauke Fischer, Founder, Agentur Auf!
- Nicolas Dubrocard, Director, Solutions Tourism
- Vincent Gerards, General Manager, Phuket Elephant Sanctuary
- Amanda Ho, Co-Founder, Regenerative Travel
- Julia Rawlins, Country Lead Germany, Linking Tourism & Conservation (LT&C)
- Daan Bleichrodt, Chief Tree Planting Officer, IVN environmental education
The 24hr Sustainable Hospitality Hackathon organising and moderating team:
- Prof. Dr. Willy Legrand, Department of Hospitality, Tourism and Event Management, IU International University of Applied Sciences, Germany
- Dr. Ankie Hoefnagels, Lector Global Competence/Research Director, Hotel Management School Maastricht, The Netherlands
- Josje van Dongen, Head of Innovation & Programme Specialisations, Hotel Management School Maastricht, The Netherlands
- Dr. Peter Varga, Assistant Professor, Ecole Hôtelière de Lausanne (EHL), Switzerland
- Malu Boerwinkel, Lecturer, Hotel Management School Maastricht, The Netherlands
- Dr. Dai-In Danny Han, Professor at the Research Centre Future of Food, Zuyd University of Applied Sciences, The Netherlands
- Prof. Dr. Gabriel C. M. Laeis, Department of Hospitality, Tourism and Event Management, IU International University of Applied Sciences, Germany
Willy LegrandMore from Willy Legrand
Phone: +49 (0) 2224 9605 209