Cornell Research: Lost in Translation: Cross-Country Differences in Hotel Guest Satisfaction
By: Gina Pingitore Ph.D., Weihua Huang Ph.D., and Stuart Greif M.B.A.
Worldwide Study Shows How Customer Satisfaction Varies from Country to Country
We sought to address differences in international satisfaction scores by examining four issues critical to hoteliers. Based on two years of data for nearly 200,000 guests from eight nations, our study found:
- While price and location remain uppermost as decision factors, residents of some countries give considerable weight to specific services;
- People in different countries do consider different factors in their determination of satisfaction;
- The effect of certain procedures on guests' satisfaction differs by country; and
- Residents of some countries generally express lower levels of satisfaction than those in other countries.
The implications of our findings are thatcountry differences must be accounted for when multinational brands are benchmarking or comparing satisfaction results across different market segments.
Download The Supporting Documents
To view the documents, please click on the link below
- Lost in Translation: Cross-Country Differences in Hotel Guest Satisfaction By:Gina Pingitore Ph.D., Weihua Huang Ph.D., and Stuart Greif M.B.A.
About the Center for Hospitality Research
The purpose of the Center for Hospitality Research is to enable and conduct research of significance to the global hospitality and related service industries. CHR also works to improve the connections between academe and industry, continuing the School of Hotel Administration's long-standing tradition of service to the hospitality industry. Founded in 1992, CHR remains the industry's foremost creator and distributor of timely research, all of which is posted at no charge for all to use. In addition to its industry advisory board, CHR convenes several industry roundtables each year for the purpose of identifying new issues affecting the hospitality industry.
Center Members: Accenture • Access Point Financial, Inc. • Barclaycard US • Cvent • Davis & Gilbert LLP • Deloitte & Touche USA LLP • DerbySoft • Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts • Fox Rothschild LLP • Hilton Worldwide • Host Hotels & Resorts • Hyatt Hotels Corporation • IDeaS Revenue Solutions • InterContinental Hotels Group • Jumeirah Group • Marriott International • NTT DATA • Preferred Hotels & Resorts • priceline.com • PwC • The Rainmaker Group • RateGain • ReviewPro • Revinate • Sabre Hospitality Solutions • STR • Taj Hotels Resorts and Palaces • Tata Consultancy Services • Wipro EcoEnergy • Wyndham Hotel Group